Small business & Startups forum

Searching for a good teleconference speakerphone...

by mayuld / February 20, 2015 2:39 AM PST

I'm from a company that just started using teleconferencing through phones for meetings, and we're looking in to getting a speakerphone for one of our meeting rooms.

We actually tried Polycom's SoundStation 2, but the other end had difficulty hearing us if we're more than 3 feet away from it. I've been searching for other options, but searches keep giving me Polycom which we want to avoid using now.

The meeting room holds from 8 to 12 people max. I'm assuming this would be considered a medium-sized room.

What we're searching for is a device that can clearly pick up speakers who sit 5-6 feet away. Most ideal would be one device powerful enough for our requirement (which was why we purchased the nonexpandable one for the Polycom unit), but from my search I have a feeling units with expansion capabilities is the only way...

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Searching for a good teleconference speakerphone...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Searching for a good teleconference speakerphone...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
It sounds like the off the shelf items won't do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 3:34 AM PST
Collapse -
unavailable link?
by mayuld / February 20, 2015 4:43 AM PST

It seems like the link doesn't work for me.

But I did have a feeling that I would have to resort to custom solutions if not for expansion units.

Collapse -
Could be true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: unavailable link?

Not all links work across the world.

Collapse -
A clarification.
by mayuld / February 20, 2015 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Could be true.

If I am reading this correctly regarding installed audio, it is to improve the hearing quality within the meeting space? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The members physically present in the meeting room have no trouble hearing each other. The problem we faced with the unit we were using was that the members in the room sitting the furthest away from the speakerphone was not being heard clearly by the members on the teleconference line.

Would acquiring an installed audio solve this issue?

Collapse -
Or one that supports more microphones.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: A clarification.

Polycom has systems beyond what you find in retail stores. As you appear to not be in NA, I can't know what you can obtain.

Collapse -
by mayuld / February 23, 2015 1:06 AM PST

Actually, I am located in NA, which is why I'm confused of why the site will not load for me.

Disregarding our company's ideal choice, if we are to look at retail store products would devices that offer expandable microphones the only way to cover the distance?

Collapse -
So far yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2015 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm...

I guess since you are in NA you could hit their top level website and find their more advanced products.

Collapse -
Any other manufacturer recommendations?
by mayuld / February 23, 2015 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: So far yes.

Is there a specific brand other than Polycom that you would recommend that would be offered at retail stores?

As mentioned earlier, Polycom's SoundStation2 did not operate at the advertised maximum microphone pick-up range, and we are reluctant to get another device of this brand.

My search brings up Clear One as a possible alternative, but since our experience with teleconference speakerphones are so limited we are hesitant on purchasing another device to learn it will not work for us.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2015 2:50 AM PST
Collapse -
No problem.
by mayuld / February 24, 2015 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks. I'll keep looking around.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?