Computer Help forum

General discussion

searching CNET forums

by bently / February 1, 2004 1:56 AM PST

Is there a method of searching every page of the Cnet forums for name or subject?

Searching page by page can get pretty tiresome. Is it possible to do a search that would automatically go thru every page on a forum for the search object?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: searching CNET forums
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: searching CNET forums
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ben, It's On The 'Wish List'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 1, 2004 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: searching CNET forums

Currently, we have no "Search" ability on the forums. I agree, that it is extremely cumbersome in the form that it is now.

The site administrator, Lee Koo, is fully aware of the need for a search option, and this topic has been discussed quite a bit.

At this time, I guess we wait.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Meaningful Subject Headings
by Schokers / February 1, 2004 10:52 AM PST

Without a search facility, perhaps the originators of the initial problems could be encouraged (by extending the posting tip) to provide more meaningful subject headings which provide a brief summary of the problem. It's a bit tricky searching by individual post when the subject headings vary from "Help" to "My Computer is Whacked" etc

Collapse -
Re:searching CNET forums
by Donna Hager / February 1, 2004 7:31 AM PST

you could always use the search option within your own browser which is what I do alot on any page I am on within the internet. If you use windows, clicking the CTRL key and the F key simultaneously should pop up your "find" window which you can then just enter a person's last name (if you are looking for a particular thread that was started by that person as an example) or enter a word you know appeared in the title of the thread.

But that's about the only way I know of until our wish comes true, just like Grif already explained to you.

Collapse -
Search Window
by macski / May 18, 2012 3:14 PM PDT

Before Max Fix It became CNET Mac Fix It there was such a search feature. Why isn't it still there?

Collapse -
Use Google site:forums.cnet.com
by KenHusveg / May 18, 2012 3:41 PM PDT

For example in a Google search box if you were looking for HDTV or security use the following format.
hdtv site:forums.cnet.com
security site:forums.cnet.com

Collapse -
Without a Search Function, This Entire Forum is Useless
by JPVannTX / June 30, 2013 12:42 PM PDT

Seriously???

Collapse -
This Thread Is From NINE Years Ago.. Have You Tried???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 4:14 AM PDT

...using the "Search" box in the upper right corner of the page? Although it's not perfect, it does find quite a few things..

The original question and answers in this thread aren't quite applicable nine years later...... Still, using the Google search line per KenHusveg's suggestion helps also..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.