General discussion

Search Terminology

I'm looking for the proper search terminology to find sites that will scan and fix -- or, at least, suggest other sites where I can download the drivers and files that were nixed by pathetic viruses. I hope that I am being understandable. Also, I would appreciate any known sites whereby I might have my computer scanned and asessed. I am having major trouble and cannot access Windows System Programs. XP Pro, Compaq. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Search Terminology
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Search Terminology
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: virus damage

Dzhonz,

You'll find drivers for your hardware on the manufacturers site, generally. Or on the diskettes and cd's that came with the hardware and that, of course, you carefully stored.
You'll find all necessary Windows files on the Windows CD, that came with your computer. There's no download site for all of those. Some dll's may be found on the net, however.

On line scan's: housecall and panda. Links are in http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=63537&messageID=754770&tag=

Good luck.

Kees

- Collapse -
Thanks, Kees

I read a post by Tiger who has similar problems, and the Panda scan was recommended, so I tried it -- along with numerous other virus scans and spyware scans. I had virus damage; the offenders have been purged, but the damage is real. Some background: this computer originally had Me installed, and when it failed, I had to overwrite the OS as an emergency measure. My friend had an XP Pro disc, so I installed XP Pro over the Me. Everything went well for a while, then the damage was wrought by hideous human beings (if I may so call them) through their evil and nefarious projects. Anyhow, now Microsoft will not support this OS, and it does no good to reinstall the OS. Compaq will not support this OS because it is HP's policy to not support any other OS than what originally came with the computer. That's where I am. I need an independent agent who has the ability to scan and hopefully repair -- or, at least, name the files and drivers that were damaged. For some reason, I have not used the right search terminology to find such agents, whom I know exist. Any ideas. Thanks to all in advance.

- Collapse -
See also
- Collapse -
re: system file checker

Read through http://www.google.com/search?q=sfc+xp&lr=

But, depending on the damage done, it might be necessary to start all over, as Mark and Bob suggest in their replies to your other post. Get Compaqs restore CD, or buy a full or upgrade XP CD. And you'll see everything becomes well again.
Then, following Bob, take care to protect yourself.

Kees

- Collapse -
Kees & Mark Flax -- Thanks -- More Info for You

My computer was sure effed up real bad, but it's back and running better than it has for years. I got to digging around the Internet and came upon something that I've never heard of before, but I'll bet that you two have and probably don't think of much anymore. It's called sfc /scannow.

So, in case you or any other reader need a refresher, it's accessed from the "Run" program -- off the Start button. Enter "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and click "OK." It asked me for my XP Pro disc. When the screen came up from the XP Pro installation, it asked me to do one of the four usual things, like install Windows, etc. I was stumped, so I chose to exit from the installation and leave the disc in the CD Drive -- a rare fortuitous choice for me. In other words, I luckily did the right thing. The scan took about fifteen minutes and that was that. No prompts, no notifications whatsoever. However, immediately upon checking, everything was restored including things that had been missing for years. I still have some minor (I hope) problems left over from the three viruses that were purged, but I'm sure that I can remedy those. I'm not sure how I got infected, considering that I always have an antivirus program running. It may have been when I had Norton which was giving CompuServe fits. Some times I had to disable the NAV in order to access the Internet; I could never get NAV configured right to run with CompuServe no matter how hard I tried.

Oh, yeah. For any interested reader(s), my problems were with Windows Systems Programs, such as: Start menu, Windows Explorer, My Computer, Desktop, Control Panel and on and on -- I had none of those by normal means. It was exciting finding creative ways of accessing them.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank you guys for being there for the unfortunate among us. sfc /scannow is a great tool, and I will use it religiously in the future. God bless.

CNET Forums

Forum Info