Computer Help forum

General discussion

Search Results coming up Page Expired

by susqsue / January 17, 2006 8:36 AM PST

Having a frustrating problem with some website search engines. LDS website (www.familysearch.org) is a great example:
I go there, do a search, get results, let's say out of all of them, 10 results I'm interested in viewing. I click on one result, review it, click the back button.

I SHOULD be bringing back up the search result page with all the results showing, but instead I keep getting " Page has Expired. The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you. To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button. "

When I refresh I get up a brand new search engine to restart the search all over again.

Now, this problem doesn't happen on major search engines, like Google, nor on websites that have Pico or Free-Find style search engines. Nor does it happen to me on LDS website with other computers (like my daughter's, who runs Windows ME)

It's just happens on mine! This machine runs Windows 2K, it is fairly new to me and is updated with the SP3. Processor 866, 300+mgs of ram. When I first got it, I had the system was wiped clean and Windows 2k reinstalled.

I have been trying for weeks to find a solution online, but apparently I am not using the right terminology to bring up results pertaining to my problem. I have also went under "Internet Tools" and reset IE to it's default options as well as tried to check out my security levels to see if something there may the cause. But nothing really jumps out at me doing that...

Any suggestions????

Sue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Search Results coming up Page Expired
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Search Results coming up Page Expired
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sue, I Suggest Going To Service Pack 4
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 9:05 AM PST

...on your Windows 2000 machine..Lots' of fixes there. (Although in excess of 100 MB in size, I prefer the full "Network Installation" package because you can save the file to a CD for use later, if necessary.) In addition, the newest Windows Updates will only load on SP4. It is a suggested update for all Windows 2000 users.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/sp4Eng.mspx

In regards to your question, assuming you're using Internet Explorer 6 SP1, have you tried changing the settings a little? Open the Control Panel, double click on "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "General" tab. Look to the "Temporary Internet Files" section and click on the "Settings" tab. Once that opens, in the "Check for newer stored pages" section, place a dot/tick in the "Automatically" selection, the click on OK, "Apply", OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
SP4
by susqsue / January 17, 2006 1:34 PM PST

Thanks for the quick response..
Now, isn't that something...
See I went and did the Windows update thing. That was one of the first things I had done (when I got this machine and Win2K re-installed) was to get all that Update stuff taken care of. And I'm not kidding you, it took 3 days for my machine to download and install all that stuff and I would have thought that it would have been at that time that SP4 would have been found lacking on my computer and Windows Update would have picked up on that and installed that as well.
I thought 3 days was a pretty long time for my machine to have to keep running to update itself, but then again I am on dialup (56K)....

Will check that out. Ever since SP3 I have also had a terrible long shut down time...

Also, checked out the other thing you mentioned and it was already set as you directed....

Sue

Collapse -
Don't do that.
by Cursorcowboy / January 17, 2006 8:21 PM PST
I go there, do a search, get results, let's say out of all of them, 10 results I'm interested in viewing. I click on one result, review it, click the back button.

I SHOULD be bringing back up the search result page with all the results showing

When you want to view a result, right-click it and open in a new window. I think you'll find that some search engines and parameters cause the anomaly you have when using the back button, and then some don't.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?