General discussion

Search on a numeral and replace with ##+the number

Word 2003 OS Win 7 Home Premium
I want to search a manuscript that has only numbers for chapter headings and replace this with a double hash mark(##) plus the original number. I can't figure out how this is done. Can someone help me?
Thanks,
Annis

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Search on a numeral and replace with ##+the number
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Search on a numeral and replace with ##+the number
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What type of file?

Do you mean a Word document? If so, which version of Word?

If this is Word, are these Chapter Headings in a Header, or just the first line of the first Chapter page?

If you mean Headers, then you can format the headers in the Insert > Headers menu option. For Word 2007 or later you will need to search the menu ribbon for the same Insert options.

If you just mean the first page of each chapter, then try using the Edit > Find/Replace menu option. You may need to use the Advanced options there, and the link below explains a little more about that feature;
http://accurapid.com/journal/15msw.htm

Hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Search on a numeral and replace with ##+the number

Well it doesn't help a whole lot. If you read my post it says I was using word 2003. I wouldn't use word 2007 on a bet! I guess I should not have used headings in the post. Users are confusing that with HEADERS in a word document. I should have said that this is a text document and doesn't have pages. The chapter numbers are separated by a couple of blank lines before and after.
the number. The numbers is all by itself on the line. The numbers go from 1 to 37.

Can someone just tell me what to put in the find and replace boxes?

- Collapse -
I missed that.

Yep sorry, I missed the reference to Word 2003.

I have to say, since there are only 37 items to change, I could have done that manually in half an hour.

Why couldn't you? Or am I missing something from your posts?

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: changes

Yes, I agree with Mark here. Just use page-down until you see such a line and add ## before it. That's only 37 changes. If it's a 200 page document on a normal screen, it takes some 600 page-downs. Seems doable.

If you had made each of these chapters a section, you could have used Edit>Search to search for section ends. But it seems you didn't.
But searching for 1 followed by a manual new line might work for the first. Then search for 2 followed by a manual new line. And so on.

Kees

Kees

- Collapse -
: Search on a numeral and replace with ##+the number by a3nn

Man what a lot of AH ya'll are you couldn't just tell me huh?

- Collapse -
Well done.

And that was done using the Advanced wild card options?

That's what I suggested in my first post and I provided a link to help you.

Glad you sorted it out, and doesn't feel great, finding the solution yourself?

Mark

- Collapse -
Search on a numeral and replace with ##+the number by a3nnis

Sorry for the blowup. No I didn't find the answer for my self. i still don't know what to put in the boxes. Let me reiterate that i have many of the books to go through and reformat because they are text files from Project Gutenberg, an online site for copyright free books. So, you see one book of 37 chapters would not be hard to do manually, but 47 might be a little difficult. I woke up with an infection in the old brain-stem today and i just can't get a handle n the process. Could someone just tell me what to put in the boxes to change all the chapter numbers so they read like ##1... and so forth. This will the software I have to preprcess the text file and create a TOC in an epub file. Please don't confuse this with Word's own TOC making capabilities.

The final product will be and ereader epub type file.
Thanks,
Annis

- Collapse -
Re: searching

1^p means a 1 followed by a paragraph mark (end of line).
2^p means a 2 followed by a paragraph mark
and so on.

You can to it via Edit>Find, then More, then Special. What's so difficult about this? It's a rather basic search.

Kees

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info