Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Search Function?

by scott_g777 / January 28, 2004 3:12 PM PST

Does this forum have a search function?
If not, it needs it.
If it does, where the heck is it and it needs to be placed in a better place?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Search Function?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Search Function?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Search Function?
by southland62 / January 29, 2004 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Search Function?

I'm with you there Scott. I would like to search postings by key words, by user, by topic, etc. Until then, I think this forum is almost useless.

Collapse -
Scott & Southland, It's On The 'Wish List'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Search Function?

...and it's been on the list for quite a while. Lee Koo is working on it, but if you read back through some of the posts on this forum, it's been discussed quite a bit. We don't have a "search" option yet.....

...but we're waiting patiently.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Scott & Southland, It's On The 'Wish List'
by Nudist / February 9, 2004 3:23 AM PST

I agree with Southland. Without a search feature a forum is practically useless.

Collapse -
Re:Scott & Southland, It's On The 'Wish List'
by petermaud / February 9, 2004 6:56 PM PST

It does help to know it's being worked on Grif. But the idea that anyone except a bunch of rank amateurs would even consider such a forum devoid of any search facility is quite strange, to say the least.

I replied to a post yesterday. Today I find myself unable to find the post again to see if my thoughts helped. It's a little discouraging (again, to say the least)

Can I suggest checking out the search facilities at The Tech Support Guy, http://forums.techguy.org/ ?

I think this problem, and it is a problem, needs to be fixed, not tomorrow, but yesterday. Until it is the forum is only about 3% useful. Consider WWW with no search. Yes, it is that strange.

This is not to say we don't appreciate it!
Peter

Collapse -
Peter, Not Much To Say But...I Agree !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 6:01 AM PST

We need a "search".

Grif

Collapse -
Not So Useless
by dcmorris / February 10, 2004 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Search Function?

A search feature would be nice but, and this is a big but, in the meantime I find this site very useful. This is a Newbie forum and I am a Newbie and always will be. I have been a "member" for years. I log in daily. If I read something of interest and I feel it may be useful in the future I print it. There have been numerous occasions where I have helped a friend with a problem based on what I have learned here.
So, Lee Koos, Grif, Marianna, R.Proffitt, LarryD, and all of you other positive moderators and contributors, please keep up the good work. This is one Newbie who needs and appreciates your efforts.

DC

Collapse -
I ditto your comments in totality.......NT
by MzLee / February 12, 2004 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Not So Useless

Collapse -
Something is in the works...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 17, 2004 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Search Function?

just hangin there...

-Lee

Collapse -
Great! The valuable data in the help forums needs to be accessible. -NT
by Rosalie / February 18, 2004 1:33 PM PST

Collapse -
Six years later, and it is still "in the works"?
by ChuckT / October 11, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

This sounds like it must be a .gov website.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.