HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Search for new computer with video card question

by timmylish / March 1, 2011 8:26 AM PST

I am continuing my, seemingly endless, search to get myself a new computer here on Tenerife but, meantime I have a further question.
Bob very kindly explained what I need to get in the way of a video card to be able to use two monitors simultaneously. Never having used Windows 7 (which I will have on the new machine) or Vista (thankfully) their use may cover my question which is;-
how does the computer know that I wish to watch tv on the Samsung 32' Full HD whilst using a normal monitor to work on-line, email, come on here etc.
Sorry if it appears a stupid question but it ain,t to me! Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Search for new computer with video card question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Search for new computer with video card question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try VLC Player?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 12:37 PM PST

Reading http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322323-How-To-Play-Videos-On-WMP-On-HDTV-While-Browsing-On-PC I like the answer which is "I just run an extended desktop onto my Samsung HDTV, the i drag VLC over to it and run it fullscreen, on my other PC screen i can then browse the internet or do whatever I want and it wont affect the fullscreen mode on the HDTV....in fact it's doing it right now with a playlist of music videos as i browse.

I think certain programmes will jump you out of full screen mode when clicking elsewhere. VLC doesnt and its working great."

I use VLC Player a lot.
Bob

Collapse -
VLC player
by timmylish / March 1, 2011 8:29 PM PST
In reply to: Let's try VLC Player?

Bob,
Many thanks, yet again, for your valued assistance which will put me in good stead when the elusive computer is eventually purchased.

Collapse -
Video Card
by Chimlim / March 1, 2011 9:20 PM PST

Most video cards have this function. In fact, I have an old video card from 2006 and I can do this. You can either extend your desktop to the TV, display your desktop on the TV, or use your TV as the desktop. If you look around your video card settings, you will find an option to do this. And I will back up with what was said above, VLC Media Player is wonderful. Not only is it free, but it plays almost every file type, and it's very light on resources.

Collapse -
Video Card
by timmylish / March 1, 2011 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Video Card

Chimlim. Many thanks for your input.
Now I should explain that you are talking to an idiot (computer wise but trying!). At this moment in time I,ve got a ten year old machine running Russian XP Pro (Mrs. T. is Russian speaking) so i don,t have a dedicated Video Card at the moment. In January I was almost buying a new computer with all the "flashin' lights and ringing bells" at a substantially discounted price from one of the few vendors here on this Island on the very day the "Cougar" problem arose and after much consultation on this very Forum I opted not to purchase. So, since then, I have been unable to find anything which fits my budget and therefore I have had no experience with dedicated cards so I just don,t know how I will operate the two outlets to the TV first and also the small monitor doing different work. I have had and used VLC for at least 5 years now so I do know what that is and its excellence. Perhaps I shall leave all of this until I actually get a machine although the vendors here keep trying to fob me off with the machines they have here, none of which have a dedicated Video Card with two outlets (which Bob had explained previously I should look for).
Meantime, again thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.