Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Search feature under Start Menu

by Baxelsson / October 19, 2008 12:38 PM PDT

Very often when I do a search for a file, it doesn't seem to matter how I do it, but none of the files are found. It searches for a second or less and come up NO RESULTS. I have had this trouble for ages. I know the files are there, but want to know where, many times. I can't believe I'm stranded with such a simple problem, especially I'm not a novice.
Help - please!
Bert

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Search feature under Start Menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Search feature under Start Menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's never worked right
by Jimmy Greystone / October 19, 2008 1:14 PM PDT

It's never worked right since Microsoft introduced that feature back in Windows95. It's unreliable at best, and if you really want to search for files like that, I'd suggest installing a program such as Google Desktop. Generally though, it's just better to keep your files organized in such a way that you can find what you're looking for without the need for searching.

Collapse -
Sorry but that's busted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

The Windows Search feature has had problems for over a decade. Once you get over it you find something else to do that search.
Bob

Collapse -
Search
by Baxelsson / October 20, 2008 12:29 AM PDT

I will try Google Desk as the previous respondent suggested unless you have a better idea.
Thanks....
Bert

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?