Computer Help forum

General discussion

Search Engine Problems

I am operating on a Win 98 system, with an excellent cable connection. I am having no problems navigating around the web except when I attempt to use any of the main search engines, mainly MSN or Google. When I enter a topic on the search line, my comp slows to barely above being locked-up. When it finally goes to the search engine menu page, and I click on a site, it will go to the site, but when I hit the back button to return to menu, it takes forever again.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Search Engine Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Search Engine Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Search Engine Problems

In reply to: Search Engine Problems

This is usually a sign that spyware has hijacked your search engine. Install Firefox and see if that is affected.

And what anti-parasite tools do you use?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Search Engine Problems

Thanks for your reply.

I run Spybot S&D, I also run a free version of Pest Patrol. My firewall is the basic version of Zonealarm.

I tried Lycos, and it works OK, however, MSN's search , which is what I run as my homepage, and Google search, both lock my computer up when I attempt to use them.

I have run the Spybot program and removed the usual suspects, i.e., orbit, etc.

I am not familiar with Firefox. Do you suggest I download it? Is it OK to run it in conjunction with the others?

Thanks again for the help,

Don

Collapse -

Firefox helps in sniffing out if there is an IE pest or not. You have a portion of the suite of tools to find the pests. Add in Adaware and BHODEMON to complete the toolset.

Bob

Collapse -

Thanks for the help Bob.

I downloaded Adaware and removed what was wrong. Search engine screaming, as is IE in general.

Thanks again,

Don

Collapse -

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.