Samsung forum

General discussion

Seamless Branching Problems

I just purchased 'Star Trek Season 1' on Blu-Ray with Seamless Branching.

When the playback gets to a Branch, the movie skips backward to the previous branch on the disc. This happens with every branch on every episode.

Is this a known problem for which a firmware update will be provided or is it a problem with my player?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seamless Branching Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seamless Branching Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P3600 Seamless Branching Problems

In reply to: Seamless Branching Problems

I negelcted to mention that I am using a Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-Ray player.

Collapse -

mlaviano,

I'm looking into this. I don't think it's a problem with the player, as all the other functions work correctly, is that correct?

I'll see what I can find out.

--HDTech

Collapse -

It appears that everything elsi is working properly although I haven't tested everything yet.

Collapse -

mlaviano,

It didn't appear that anyone was aware of that, but I'll send up a report. I don't have an ETA on the fix if it's actually an issue with the player, but if anyone else is dealing with these issues, I welcome them.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Star Trek - Confirming the problem of repeating scenes

I?m having the same issue with the same title and after a quick Google I found others reporting the same problem all with Samsung players. Some have tested their discs with other manufactures players and the problem does not occur. I?m using a BD-P4600.

Collapse -
Star Trek - Confirming the problem of repeating scenes

In reply to: Star Trek - Confirming the problem of repeating scenes

jimdann,

Thanks for the post.

So I'll be updating this with the fact that it affects both the 3600 and the 4600 BDP models. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I will be sending this up this afternoon.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Star Trek BD repeating scenes

In reply to: Star Trek - Confirming the problem of repeating scenes

I have been dealing with this problem for a couple of weeks now. I had bought a Sony BD, but Star Trek: The Motion Picture BD movie froze in the middle. I then bought a Samsung 3600, and I have played 3 Star Trek BD movies now without problem. But in the Original Series BD set, I have the repeating scenes problem on my 3600. I have it on two sets of disks; since I thought that was the original problem I replaced them. I tried a firmware update, but it told me I had the most up-to-date software already. I replaced the 3600 with another - same problem. I need to know if Samsung is going to fix this - in 30 days I will return it if not fixed, though at this point I have no confidence in any BD player manufacturer. I have searched the internet, and see that others have this exact problem.

Collapse -
Star Trek BD repeating scenes

In reply to: Star Trek BD repeating scenes

stevegorn1,

Well, I can't guarantee a fix date, so I don't know how quickly that will be delivered.

The fact that this happens on another brand doesn't surprise me. With new transfers, some studios use new technology, and don't inform or provide an advance copy (or bother to test it themselves) to see if their final pressing works. That is the root cause of this. So we have to purchase a copy after the release date, like you, and then take it to the engineering labs, test it and release an update.

Since the release of Blu-Ray, I've seen several titles that the studios have created content that didn't work without the Blu-Ray manufacturers fixing for them. So we're keeping up with the "advances" as best as we can, but the cause of this isn't our doing, and doesn't necessarily speak to our manufacturing.

I've invited two of the major motion picture studios (ones that have 2 or more titles we've had to create a fix for) to come on the forum and speak about this, and suddenly, communication ends quick, and calls go unreturned. I won't quote (or risk "misquoting") them from conversations I've had, but I'd love for someone to come on board and address this from the studio's point of view.

Any takers? I'm always hopeful.

I can appreciate the fact that it's frustrating. Return the player if that's what's best for you - I wouldn't encourage you to keep something unless you're happy with it. However, we do the best we can when we're notified of these issues, and will be working to address these issues.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: Star Trek BD repeating scenes

HDTech,

I am the Software Quality Assurance Manager at a company that produces live television graphics. I know what it's like when customers want a specific thing fixed that most customers don't care about. But I think this "seamless branching" technology is here to stay, certainly with two more seasons of Star Trek TOS coming up.

Truth is, I don't want to give up my 3600. I love its quality and features. It plays movies flawlessly that a new Sony had problems with. The only problem I can see so far with the Samsung 3600 is with seamless branching. Since it is probably here to stay, can I safely assume that Samsung will fix this one day? I am willing to wait a month or two, if I know down the line this is corrected. I know from my experience it is hard to give exact dates. From your experience, will Samsung fix something that will be on three popular sets of BDs? Approximately when? It certainly is fixable, as other players are fine with it. As I stated in my last post, I am not comfortable with any BD player at this point. I want to keep the 3600.

Thanks for the quick response.

Collapse -
RE: Star Trek BD repeating scenes

In reply to: RE: Star Trek BD repeating scenes

stevegorn1,

There's a process that goes into these issues, and unfortunately, it's not a fast one. I know nobody likes to hear that (tomato shield, engage!), but again - I'd rather be straightforward than to dance around the issue.

So from reporting the issue - comes buying the title and reproducing from our service support people. Then the issue is sent to our engineers who also have to reproduce this. Assuming that there's no hitch, the investigation has to happen to figure out what's wrong, then the firmware code needs to be written to make it right, and then it has to go through a testing process, and is then distributed.

So without going into too much detail, there is a significant process involved. So... that said...

Seamless Branching is a neat feature, and this is the first title I've heard of it not working with. If there are others, I'd be interested in hearing about them - honest.

Timeframe: I have absolutely no pull when it comes to that - except bugging the engineers, who then flick the propeller on my ballcap and send me back to my desk. I can't even speculate. I just don't know.

Can I guarantee that Star Trek's Seamless Branching issue will be fixed? I'd lean towards likely, but I can't definitively promise what I can't personally deliver. Will I advocate for it? You bet.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung star treak repeating

same as the others keeps repeating. If no fix Soon I will return it to Best buy for LG

Collapse -
Seamless Branching problem fix

I have just updated the firmware for the BD-P4600 from the Samsung UK website to BEv1.02_090528_BDP4600_XEF and this seems to have cured the seamless branching problem with this title, at least with the Man Trap episode.
The US website shows version BEv1.4 of the firmware but this has the same date stamp as the UK firmware so probably has the same fix.

Collapse -
Seamless Branching problem fix

In reply to: Seamless Branching problem fix

jimdann,

Good news so far. Keep me posted if you run across any more issues. We got this one in under the wire for the firmware update last time, so the earlier these are reported, the quicker we can address them.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-3600 Fix not showing up

you post a fix for the 4600, but the problem is on the 3600. There are no firmware updates showing to fix this

Collapse -
BD-3600 Fix not showing up

In reply to: BD-3600 Fix not showing up

Collapse -
Yes that Works Thank You !

I still do not understand why the update function dose not work .
Also note that I tried first to do the update via USB drive, but that would not start.
I did the update via CD and that worked. Watching the Blu-Ray of Star Trek Remastered now, Yay

Thanks

Collapse -
Seamless Branching Problems NOT fully fixed....

The Seamless Branching Problems are not fully fixed, still hanging up and repeating some scenes .

I got though a few episodes and thought great, but then it happened like three more times.

Still needs a Better Fix.
It is Better, but God over 360.00 for the Player and 80 something for the Blu-Ray and stuff will not Play well.

Why did we need a new Format (blu-ray) that dose not work?????

Collapse -

In reply to: Seamless Branching Problems NOT fully fixed....

I updated the firmware on my BD-P3600 last week and noticed that the Star Trek Season 1 seamless branching function is ALMOST there. It works throughout most of each title, but once in a while, still skips back to the previous "seamless" branch.

It is much better, but not quite right yet. Maybe the next update Happy

Also, Netflix audio sync seems to work better.

Collapse -

gryphynclyph,

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'll send this information back up and see what we can address. Do you have any further details on where it works/doesn't work so we can replicate the issue?

Thanks!

--HDTech

Collapse -

It appears to happen near the end of each episode. Typically at the last scene with a branch.

Collapse -
BD-3600 Fix not showing up yet

Hi gryphynclyph
The problem was with both the P3600 and the P4600. I reported the problem with the P4600 in post 6 of this thread. The two models are very similar so my uniformed guess would be that the fix will probably be applied to the next P3600 firmware update.

Collapse -
UK models

In reply to: BD-3600 Fix not showing up yet

Any idea when the firmware updates are released for the UK market... would be nice to see if it fixes slight audio syncing issues and random pauses/freezes* I'm getting on some films.

*Dejavu (br), in 3 places just "paused" and required me to rewind then play but continued fine.

Collapse -
UK models

In reply to: UK models

MrDerbyUK,

Unfortunately, I don't know. I can only speak for U.S. products at this time.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Time to buy LG

In reply to: BD-3600 Fix not showing up yet

I gave up on this and got the LG. No branching problem. And the LG has the same features.

I just bought a 58" Samsung plasma. Hope I don't have any problems there...

Collapse -
I have a similar problem with a Samsung DVD-1080P8

Hi,

I have just figured out that the problem I was experiencing is in fact a "Seamless Branching" issue. The DVD "Final Destination 3 - Choose Your Fate edition" has two playback options, Theatrical or Choose Your Fate. If you select "Choose Your Fate", every time there is an upcoming death in the movie, you can select one of two options. That works just fine. However, in the Theatrical version in which you are not presented with any choices, playback pauses whenever the Choose Your Fate option would normally come up. The player thinks about it for 1-2 seconds, and then continues playing the film. It is very annoying.

I have researched this phenomenon originally believing I had a bad DVD, but I have found this is common to Toshiba and Samsung DVD players, but does not happen on Sony players which correctly handle Seamless Branching. Is there any way to get a firmware update to smoothly handle seamless branching on this player ?

Thanks,
DD.

Collapse -
I have a similar problem with a Samsung DVD-1080P8

In reply to: I have a similar problem with a Samsung DVD-1080P8

Dare978devil,

I can ask, but I don't know of any plans currently to address the issue. If I hear something back, I'll be happy to post it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Branching problems

In reply to: I have a similar problem with a Samsung DVD-1080P8

I have gone 3 months and one firmware update that fixed "some" of the problem. Just got my Local Best Buy to exchange the Samsung BD P3600 for the LG BD390 Soooooo Happy !

Collapse -
compitable to Hard disk samsung BDP 3600

could you tell me is this player ca read NTFS file from portable hard disk? samsung Blue ray BDP 3600

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.