PC Hardware forum

General discussion

sdram - ddr ram

by mike124t / April 14, 2005 9:34 PM PDT

In what type of applications can we see the performance differences between the rams which are at different frequencies? (For example: sdram 133MHz and ddr 333MHz)
For example; will 3D games (like CS and Hitman) will run fine at ddr 333MHz and when trying at sdram 133MHz, will it slow down because of ram?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sdram - ddr ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sdram - ddr ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In single words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: sdram - ddr ram

All and yes.

In one sentance -> No board made lets you mix SDRAM and DDRRAM.

Bob

Collapse -
thank you, but ...
by mike124t / April 14, 2005 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: In single words.

Thanks for your reply. I did not mean that I want to mix these two type of ram on my mainboard. My mainboard does not have ddr ram sockets. I want to learn that if ram speed is a factor to slow down the 3D games, or it only depends on the CPU and video card. I wish you will write a reply to this. Thanks for your replies.

Collapse -
It is one factor of many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you, but ...

For instance, my kid had an office cast off of what you would think would be a fast machine...

It was a P4 1.9 GHz but with the i845 chipset and PC133 SDRAM. It benchmarked at about 1/2 the speed of machines at 900 to 1000 MHz.

In the case of the P3, the CPU wasn't being throttled by the speed of the RAM, in this case it was.

Bob

Collapse -
i hope this is not the wrong place 2 ask!
by isf_ / April 15, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

hi..i have 2 256mb ddr ram @ 233mhz.....suppose i need 2 add additional 256mb ddr ram,should it also be @ 233mhz or can the mhz thingy be diff ?

thnx

Collapse -
NO PAYBACK!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2005 6:32 AM PDT

I have a first hand test that shows PAYBACK from 512MB to 1GB of RAM to be minimal. Here's the test setup: Two identical machines. Same motherboards, CPUs, make RAM, P4's, same hard disks, same OS and you get the idea how identical they are.

The 512MB machine finished a DVD compilation in 6 hours.
The 1GB machine finished 5 minutes faster.

To be sure of the results, we moved the 512MB machine up to 1GB and repeated the 5 minute savings.

It may not be worth the upgrade.

Bob

Collapse -
Uh yeah
by strickjh2005 / April 15, 2005 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: NO PAYBACK!

DVD burner doesnt use that much ram. If you multi task by say, playing HL2 while you burn then the extra mem will come in handy.

Anyway, you check ou tthe manufacturer of your MOBO to find out if it supports the speed (mhz) of your RAM. If it does then you can mix and match all you want.

GL to all.

Collapse -
What DVD burner?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2005 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Uh yeah

This was a DVD rendering job. "Video Editing" even. We were surprised at the big payoff.

Bob

Collapse -
Which types of programs
by mike124t / April 17, 2005 7:57 PM PDT
In reply to: sdram - ddr ram

I wonder which types of programs need the speed of ram,
or all of the programs, including 3D applications, depend on the ram frequency?

Collapse -
I forgot
by mike124t / April 17, 2005 8:10 PM PDT

I forgot to say, my English is not very well, so maybe I will make some grammar errors.

Collapse -
No wonder here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2005 10:59 PM PDT

All programs can benefit from faster memory if the CPU can use it.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!