HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

SD, Night Shots Quality, Good Image Stabilization

by mmsoliman / August 1, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

Can you help recommending a camcorder that meets my criteria here please:

- Standard Difinition.
- No internal HDD, trying to minimize the moving parts and weight too.
- Fairly decent quality night shots, heard JVC are the best for that! please enlighten me.
- Reliable Image Stabilization. Optical or Digital! what whould you recommend.

Thanks

m.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SD, Night Shots Quality, Good Image Stabilization
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SD, Night Shots Quality, Good Image Stabilization
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start with a budget...
by boya84 / August 6, 2010 11:26 PM PDT

What is your financial pain threshold?

Over or under $1,000?
Over or under $2,000?

Optical stabilization is better between the two - physical stabilization (tripod, chair, rock, camera crane, etc.) is best.

Collapse -
budget and recording scenarios
by mmsoliman / August 7, 2010 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Start with a budget...

Im just starting; so I'm not going to go crazy. I'd like to keep it under 700$ a little more shouldn't be an issue though.

I will mostly use it for recording bike ride and car drives so its going to be mounted on the car dash or the bike handlebar. thats why I m thinking physical stabilization is not viable in these cases. but thanks for the suggestion. I'm not expecting any image stabilization to completely eliminate vibrations effect here.

let me know your thoughts!

thanks

Collapse -
hmmmm...
by boya84 / August 7, 2010 2:38 AM PDT

If by "night shots" you mean some sort of zero-visible light capture, I think your limited to Sony - some of their camcorders have a built-in infrared emitter providing "NightShot" or "SuperNightShot", monochrome video capture. The built-in IR emitter's throw is effectively around 8 feet but you can add an external IR illuminator (from Sony) to extend that a bit.

The HDR-HC9 is miniDV tape based and meets the technical requirements - assuming your computer has a firewire port (or you are able/willing to add one if the computer has no firewire port) - but it is more than your stated budget.

The HDR-CX500 series also meets your technical requirements - with the exception of $. Be aware that they save AVCHD compressed MTS files so your computer needs to be fairly beefy and the video editor should be pretty current and specify AVCHD file compatibility with the computing hardware environment.

If "night shot" is a different definition (as in "low visible light" level), the the Canon HF S series is worth a look.

The issue with high compression (AVCHD) is that it and fast action don't get along very well. For fast action you really want less compression (DV or HDV) applied to the video stream and at your specified budget, that is miniDV tape.

Consumer camcorders using flash memory and HDD for high definition video storage all use AVCHD compression to MTS files (or in JVC's case, TOD files).

Have you looked at any DSLRs that can capture video? I don't have much experience with them, but their video looks pretty good (assuming audio is not that big of a deal for you).

How about a "helmet cam"? The "VholdR ContourHD 1080p Full HD Helmet Camera" made it to my short list - though I expect its low-light behavior will not be very good at all...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.