Camcorders forum

General discussion

SD Mermory vs MMC Memory ??????

by Ray Harinec / November 24, 2003 4:47 AM PST

Have a camcorder that can use SD memory or MMC memory for still photo storage.

What are the pro's and con's of each????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SD Mermory vs MMC Memory ??????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SD Mermory vs MMC Memory ??????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:SD Mermory vs MMC Memory ??????
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2003 5:21 AM PST

"What are the pro's and con's of each????"

You mean the people who sell such things won't tell?

I won't either, but will note that SD Memory can be faster.

Bob

Collapse -
Great answer???? What the heck are these forums for????????
by Ray Harinec / November 24, 2003 8:03 AM PST

To be told to go look it up somewhere.?????????

Collapse -
Re:Great answer???? What the heck are these forums for????????
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2003 9:19 AM PST

To converse. The gritty information is out there, but to boil it down is what I did. You know me. I don't like to duplicate prior works, but will try to boil it down to one liners.

Too succient? Let me ask this then. Why aren't the suppliers of these things able to talk to people on the subject? I usually end up by saying "Thank you, I've got to leave now." and walking away when confronted with the now accepted robo-sales-droids. And this happens even at the trade-shows.

Your request could have been that you wanted the detailed papers on the MMC and SD devices. Which maybe I should have noted that all you can digest is over at Sandisk's web site.

Is that what you want to know?

Bob

Collapse -
BS. You know d-d well that these forums have no search capability.
by Ray Harinec / November 24, 2003 9:30 AM PST

You may have posted the info 600 times and there would be no way for me to know it. Feel free to ignore any post that I make in any forum. your cryptic answers are becoming a waste of time.

Collapse -
And you have Google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2003 9:58 AM PST

You know I teach fishing and will not share my fish unless you are without a fishing pole.

You should ask a more specific question about SD and MMC. Comparing the two for all differences is not what I will write about. I noted the one thing that makes a difference to me. What else is there?

-> I did write that the SD memory was faster. I don't see how this is cryptic.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: And you have Google.
by abide / September 29, 2004 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: And you have Google.

I was doing research on this subject before my next memory purchase and there is another important issue with SD.

SD has a "Copyright protection mechanism" buildt into it that is part of the next generation of hardware based copyright protection and there are some potential issues that arise form this (aside from the issue of duplicating copyrighted material). The most important one to me is the potential problem of using my SD in multiple equipment. For instance my digital camera and my PDA as well as a multi card reader on my lap top.

THe question then: are these issues that might plague me because of this software that is resident on all new SD memory?

Collapse -
First hand...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2004 8:09 AM PDT

I do some Palm development and use SD cards. In all my travels the security aspect has never caused a problem and has never been used.

Of course, just because that I haven't found a Martian writing software in Seattle doesn't prove that there isn't one. Point? I think you need to get a new SDCARD and use it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: SD and MP3
by abide / September 29, 2004 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: First hand...

Let's say I OWN a CD and I copy it into MP3 on my laptop but want to listen to it on my PDA using SD. Wil the SD cause a problem with this?

Collapse -
Re: SD and MP3 = No issues here or heard of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2004 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: SD and MP3

Be aware that somewhere there could be one person in England in a pub with this issue, but they aren't talking about it.

In short, not a known issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Fish
by dlmoore / April 29, 2006 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: And you have Google.

People on forums are usually asking for help, not cryptograms.

You need to find another place to fish and teach.

Your answers are out of line buddy.

Dave

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Fish

You could pitch in and help. But didn't.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.