Cameras forum

General discussion

SD Memory Card comparisons

by mjshort / August 1, 2005 2:50 AM PDT

I have just purchased my first digital camera (Nikon coolpix 4800) and need to purchase a larger SD memory card. Does anyone have any opinions on different brands...is there any difference between them?

Thanks for all your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SD Memory Card comparisons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SD Memory Card comparisons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory
by Rodax / August 1, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

Stick with the name brands like SanDisk or Lexar. I tried "no-name" brands twice in order to save a little money and twice they failed me. Since then, I use SanDisk exclusively with my Nikon and have had no problems.

Collapse -
Memory - PNY
by mjshort / August 1, 2005 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory

any experience with "PNY" brand? They seem to be in the same price range as the SanDisk but are on sale pretty cheap this week. Is it worth it??

Collapse -
Memory Card - PNY
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 1, 2005 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory - PNY

I no longer buy any PNY products.

They ripped me off on a rebate over a year ago.

If their "on sale" price involves a rebate...you may not get it.

Collapse -
PNY...
by John.Wilkinson / August 1, 2005 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory - PNY

Overall, PNY is a good, quality company with reliable products...none of which have failed me yet. Unfortunately though, their mail-in rebate system is a little screwed up. It took them the full 6 weeks to send it to me, all the while their online rebate center said they hadn't received it yet. When I finally did get it, they spelled my first and last names wrong...took a little explaining in order to cash it. However, from what I understand they use a third-party group that handles all of their rebates, so it's not entirely their fault...they just hired a lousy company.

Personally, I'd buy the PNY memory card(s), but make sure you're prepared...keep copies of the UPC label, receipt, etc, and keep calling them if you haven't received a check within the designated time frame. If it's a significant price difference, it's worth it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Compare prices
by lrivas1 / August 1, 2005 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: FWIW

It is best to compare prices including the shipping and sales tax. The Tigerdirect charges sales tax and shipping and handling which prices them out of many purchases I make.

Collapse -
re:
by Alan Copeland / August 1, 2005 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Compare prices

This is true, and I always run any planned purchase through Price Grabber.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They do not charge sales tax to Texas.
by Alan Copeland / August 1, 2005 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Compare prices
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kensington is a good brand, too
by jas0nhe / August 3, 2005 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory
Collapse -
In my experience
by catw4kittens / August 31, 2012 2:26 AM PDT

I just went through the ones I have. My camera produces better pictures with either the PNY or the SanDisk. It does not like the Lexar. I have a Cannon PowerShot SD1200 IS.

My printer, which has memory card slots, does not like anything larger than a 2G.

Collapse -
Regarding Printer
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 31, 2012 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: In my experience

SD cards come in sizes (capacity) of about 16M up to (and including) 2G.
Any SD card larger than 2G is called SDHC (High Capacity).
Older card readers (and most older cameras) can not read SDHC cards.

Collapse -
Proof positive of the 16MB card. Pict only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Regarding Printer

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!