Camcorders forum

General discussion

SD mac and pc compatible camcorder

by goldenrist / July 8, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

Hello, I just bought a SONY dcr-sr68 that I'm going to return to Best Buy. The sales person said it was compatible with mac (MacBook and MacBook Pro) and it is not.

I also have a pc (Asus G60J) in the house that in a pinch I could use. Does anyone know of any affordable SD camcorders that will work with both OS?

Many thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SD mac and pc compatible camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SD mac and pc compatible camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Sony DCR-SR68 saves
by boya84 / July 8, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

compressed video to MPG files.

Copy the video files from the camcorder to your Mac over USB and transcode the files with MPEG Streamclip or HandBrake to a format iMovie likes. Same could be said for Windows and MovieMaker. Same could be said for the Canon FS series and JVC and Panasonic camcorders that record to MOD files.

What "compatibility" are you requiring or expecting?

The Asus G60J is a netbook - and not meant to do "heavy lifting" activities like editing video... though it probably can (standard def video) after transcoding the video file.

A miniDV tape based camcorder connected with a firewire cable to the MacBook Pro's firewire port will import (real-time) to iMovie. We don't know which MacBook you have, so we don't know if it has a firewire port or not. Canon ZR960 and Panasonic PV-GS320 are standard def only miniDV tape based camcorders.

Collapse -
and if you are expecting the
by boya84 / July 8, 2010 11:58 AM PDT

software included in the camcorder box to be "compatible", don't waste your time. The computer-bundled editors (iMovie, MovieMaker) are much better than anything in the box with a consumer camcorder.

And since your Asus has no firewire port (and no expansion port to add one), you should probably know that miniDV video from the digital tape to the computer over USB won't work - and USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things don't work. So while the miniDV tape camcorders will get along fine with the MacBook Pro (we don't know about the MacBook), they won't get along too well with the netbook.

Out of curiosity, how did you decide that hard disc drive camcorder is "not compatible"?

Collapse -
SD mac and pc compatible camcorder
by goldenrist / July 8, 2010 2:57 PM PDT

Maybe compatible wasn't the best choice of words. What I would like to do is to record straight to my computers hard drive and I would also like to be able to use the camera as I would a webcam. My Canon Z300 does this with no problem. The tape operation is not working so all I can use is the memory card. Although it (the Z300) still works I wanted to get another cam for traveling purposes that would do the same thing.

Collapse -
Thank you for the clarification.
by boya84 / July 8, 2010 10:54 PM PDT

The Canon ZR300 is miniDV tape based storage for high quality, DV format, video storage. The ability to record direct to a computer's hard drive would need to rely on a firewire connection for a high quality DV format video image or "USB streaming" of a reduced quality, very compressed, video image (with a USB connection). I don't think the computer operating systems support the USB streaming much anymore (and most manufacturers are not including or maintaining updated USB drivers). With a firewire connection, it would be up to the firewire port to get the updated driver. Hard drive, flash memory and other non-miniDV tape consumer camcorder don't have a firewire port. I don't think anyone is doing much with this capability and USB3 - yet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.