Cameras forum

General discussion

SD Impact 128 MB Memory card no longer working

I wanted to take the pictures I had taken over the weekend off of my memory card and onto my computer. I did everything like I normally do. I put the memory card into the computer, let it load, highlighted and cut all the pictures I wanted to take off. Then I went into the folder I wanted to put them in and it gave me an error message that went away too fast for me to read, but caught a glimpse of something saying the application wasn't ready. So I went back into the memory card and my pictures were gone because I had cut them. I pulled the memory card out from my computer and put it back in my camera. When I turned the camera on it froze. I took out the batteries, put them back in, and tried again. Once again my camera froze. I took the memory card out of my camera and placed it in the computer again. When I got into the memory card my pictures were still gone. My memory card worked once, but when I flipped the switch to look in the inventory it froze the camera again. I have no idea what is going on or what I may have done wrong. I didn't pay for the memory card, but it was my saving grace for my camera. My camera doesn't have much memory so I was able to take many pictures with the memory card. I am afraid that I might have to buy a new one. If anyone could please help me figure out what I did wrong or how I can possibly fix it I would greatly appreciate it. I have come to terms that the pictures are forever gone. I am very upset about that, but there is nothing I can do, unless someone has some suggestions about where they might be on my computer. Any help is appreciated very much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SD Impact 128 MB Memory card no longer working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SD Impact 128 MB Memory card no longer working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you can try this

Just try to do a simple search of all photos or videos and make sure to use thumbnail view to find the photos. You can also search by file type by choosing .jpeg for the file type. Replacing the card is a breeze with 2GB cards(16x your cards capacity) for $15.

Collapse -
Salvaging Photos

In reply to: SD Impact 128 MB Memory card no longer working

Most likely the photos are still on the card.

You need some "photo recovery" software.
There are hundreds of such programs on the Internet.
Go a Google search for:

photo recovery software

Most will let you see if it can find the photos.
If it can, you have to buy the program to actually recover them.

You may find some free programs ... I don't know.

Here are some recovery programs that were recommended by another of our Moderators:

GETDATABACK
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY
PC FILE INSPECTOR
RECUVA

Search for them with Google.com

After you have recovered your photos and have them safely on your computer.
I suggest you immediately write a copy of them to a CD or DVD blank for backup.

Then if you want to be able to use that memory card again in your camera:
Using the card reader and computer; delete all files and folders from the memory card.
Then insert the card in your camera and "format" the memory card with your camera.
Your camera has a "format" command in the menu.

"Always format a NEW card with your camera before you capture any photos on the card."
Failure to do that, can result in the problem you just had.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.