Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

SD card reader not working

by John_Conquest / June 20, 2012 10:56 AM PDT

So, I have a 32gb micro-sd card, with an adapter to use on my laptop.

I've been using it for roughly 3 or 4 months, and it has all of my music and school work on it. Just today, my laptop stopped reading the card. It will read other sd cards/micro-sd cards, with the same adapter, so something is wrong with the card itself.

Windows says that the file system on there is not recognisable, and to format it. Which I'm okay with doing, but i want to recover the data on there first.
If i put the SD card in my phone, which is a simple Android-based phone, I can read the music and files on there just fine, which leads me to think that its a problem with the reader on my computer.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv7-6169nr.
My operating system is Windows 7 home premium.
The adapter I'm using is a Kingston Micro-SD adapter, and my SD-Card is a SanDisk 32gb Micro sdhc.

Thanks in advance!

John_Conquest has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SD card reader not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SD card reader not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by John_Conquest

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

Most androids ask you if you want to share the card as a drive when you plug the droid into the PC.

I'd do that so I can copy out the files and then start over.

However, why did you risk losing your files like this? No backup?

Bob

Collapse -
Tried it D:
by John_Conquest / June 20, 2012 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

If I try to read the files via usb cable and my android, that doesn't work either. I was really hoping that work around would work.

and I wasn't really expecting the sd card to randomly stop. I don't pull it out often or anything, its usually constantly in there, so I haven't the slightest idea why it would randomly go out.

Collapse -
Sorry but they do just that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried it D:

If the files are still on the droid and you can't read them with the USB cable let's move to DROPBOX.

Go get Dropbox on the Android and them move then over 2GB at a time.

The files are not gone yet. You just need to think about how to copy them out.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by John_Conquest / June 20, 2012 12:02 PM PDT

I got it set up, transerred a txt file successfully, so I think this will work. Thank you very much, Bob. I'm not sure if this thread will automatically lock or not, but would it be possible to request this stay open in the event that there are more problems with the sd card? Or should I just make a new thread?

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

It's likely the moving from the Android to PC and such corrupted the card in some strange way. It happens A LOT !!!

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by John_Conquest / June 20, 2012 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Your choice.

Well, the card is usually in my computer. I have a seperate SD card for my phone, I just tested the SD card on my phone when it decided to stop working.

But as far as I can tell, its working. Its just gonna take forever.

Collapse -
And there's a lesson here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

Something about backup. I can't teach this lesson it seems. It's one folk seem to learn from events like this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.