General discussion

SD card not being read

I have a 4GB SD card for my digital camera and when I insert it into the card reader on my laptop it doesn't even show up as being read. I know my card read works because it picks up my sisters card from her camera.

I am getting sick of having to whip out the cable and do it that way.
If anyone has any advice please share it.

Thanks,
moebob24

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SD card not being read
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SD card not being read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That a SDHC card.

There are many cameras and laptops that support SD but not SDHC. Exchange it for a 2GB card.

- Collapse -
yes

yes its SDHC. So your saying it isn't supported? Is there any sort of driver that would make it read?

- Collapse -
For the camera?

Sorry they are not issuing drivers for such today.

Try the 2GB card.

- Collapse -
There is this...
- Collapse -
Secure Digital High Capacity

4Gb SD Crds have incompatibilities with many card readers and cameras for that matter this is because of something called SDHC (SD High Capacity). SDHD Cards can ONLY be used in SDHD readers. These cards are often formatted using Fat32.

You say thae card from your sisters camera works in the reader. Do you know what capacity that card is?

If you can find out what card reader you are using that would be very helpful. You might be able to find this out in the device manager. If you can't find that out can you tell us what laptop you are using?

- Collapse -
this makes sense now

Ya my sisters card was a memory stick pro. Mine is an SDHC. OK looks like I'm just gonna have to use the cable to get the pictures off the card. Id rather have the 4Gigs of space.

Thanks for the help everyone!! Happy

- Collapse -
How I fixed my SD Card Reader

I went to the manufactures website for my Computer there was a firmware update for my SD Reader, I installed it. Then I went to my system folder in control Panel went to device manager and uninstalled the SD card Reader and rebooted my computer. When it rebooted, it reinstalled the device drivers for the SD Card reader, I was then able to read my 4GB SD card as the old firmware could only read 2GB SD cards so there was update to firmware to allow it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info