Storage forum

General discussion

SCSI

by BrianV2 / December 27, 2007 10:39 AM PST

I have 4 Ultra 320 SCSI drives that I want to use on my windows home server. I want to set them up as RAID 1+0 so I don't have any risk of losing my data. I have limited experience with RAIDs (SATA) and none with SCSI. The Server only has a ultra 160 controller built in so I know I will need to get a controller, but will any of them support RAID or is there a specific kind? Also once the controller card is installed with I be able to adjust the RAID settings in the bios or does it have to be done another way? TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SCSI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SCSI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I find that to be risky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: SCSI

Raid 0+1 means that when a virus strikes or delete that directory it happens so quick you have no chance to stop the meltdown. Why not RAID 5 and a decent backup? I looked at the controller and it has no failover on the RAID 1 so RAID 5 wins there.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) How large are the SCSI drives ....
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2007 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: SCSI
Collapse -
Re:
by BrianV2 / December 27, 2007 10:35 PM PST

The drives at 10K RPM 300GB drives. The computer is a dual 2GHZ Xeon with 2GB of RIMM. I got the computer and drives for free so I would like to use them rather than buying something else. and remember this is for a home server. it will mostly just be storing music and movies.

What type of RAID would be the best? I just assumed RAID1 because with a drive failure I wouldn't lose data and if I lose 2 in the same pair I still wouldn't lose anything.

Collapse -
RAID 5..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

With this it keeps working in spite of a drive failure.

Collapse -
With drives that large ...I'd go RAID 5
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2007 4:28 AM PST

I asked the question about SCSI HDD capacity wondering if the HDDs were large enough to mess with. At 300GBs they should be worth reusing. What versions of RAID does the SCSI 160 controller support ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Re:
by BrianV2 / December 28, 2007 7:31 AM PST

I'm not sure what the controller supports. The drives are Ultra320 so I couldn't use them with the Ultra 160 controller could I? I'll look up the MB and find out anyways.

Collapse -
Drives, SCSI or IDE, are often backwards compatible
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2007 11:03 AM PST

You might some lose some performance but negligible in many, most instances. Looks as if the ULTRA 320 controllers have 68-pin high-density connectors and if the drives have same ...it's likely the drives will work with the controller. Question is ...does the controller support the version(s) of RAID you want to use ?

Let us know how it works.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?