Mac OS forum

General discussion

scroll buttton

by maspmichele / May 26, 2007 9:29 PM PDT

For the last couple of days my scroll button on my Mighty Mouse doesn't work any more. I've looked it up and see nothing about not bring able to scroll at all. Yes, if I put the pointer on the blue scroll BAR it works..but liked being able to scroll from anywhere in the screen. Any suggestions, thanks to one and all

2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo IMAC 20", wireless keyboard and mouse

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: scroll buttton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: scroll buttton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scrolling
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: scroll buttton

It is possible that the window that you are trying to scroll in, is not the active window or that the cursor is not on the page.
For instance. If you have Safari/Firefox/insert your browser of choice open and the cursor is outside of the page area, the Scroll Wheel action does not happen.

The fact that your scroll wheel (button) works when the cursor is placed over the blue scroll bar would indicate that there is nothing wrong with the mechanics of the mouse.

Next time it happens, check to see if the cursor is inside the window you are trying to scroll.

If it has been a while since your last restart, try restarting

Let us know

P

Collapse -
scroll buttton
by maspmichele / May 30, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Scrolling

Hi, tried re start..didn't help. And when I use the blue scroll bar..that is dragging the bar or using the arrows..NOT using the wheel..Any other suggestions? Thank you as always

Collapse -
Ahh, the moving goal posts
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 30, 2007 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: scroll buttton

If the scroll button does not work, even when on the blue scroll bar, I would contact Apple as your Mighty Mouse may not be so mighty.
There is nothing worse than a scrolling mouse that doesn't.

Give them a call, it's free

P

Collapse -
Possible Solution
by hallplante / June 2, 2007 12:20 AM PDT

I had the same problem (non-scrolling button) with a Mighty Mouse. Twice, I got replacement mouses at my local Apple store.

The third time I went in, the sales person was able to get it working again. From that I learned that the scroll button sometimes gets stuck.

It takes some body english, fiddling with the scroll button, to get it working again. This is not the ideal scenario. It doesn't happen often, but it saved me a fourth trip to the store.

Collapse -
Mighty Mouse Not Working
by ennisbr / June 2, 2007 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible Solution

I had that problem and I read in a post a very simple solution that worked for me. It seemed so simple but it has worked twice.

Take a damp cloth and vigoroulsy clean the scroll button for about minute. The last time it worked for me my mouse would scroll side-to-side and up, but not down...after the cleaning the scroll down feature worked again. I hope this works!

Collapse -
re:scroll
by maspmichele / June 2, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

YEAH!!!! took a new toothbrush to poor little mouse...now it works !!!! Thank you sooooo much..The simplest things...

Collapse -
same problem
by soho2014 / September 8, 2007 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: re:scroll

I had the same problem, and just now, I tried the toothbrush trick and it worked to fix it. Thanks for the toothbrush suggesion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.