Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Scripting or coding for Netscape Mail

by tapasvis / December 2, 2007 11:41 PM PST

Hi,
I was wondering what scripting language is available to access Netscape Mail resources.
Basically, I want to be able to run the script which would compress all the Netscape Mail folders and output the mail and address list to an Outlook 2003 pst file.
If there isn't a scripting language available, does anyone know what the general process is for parsing the Netscape mail and address files (if I were to use Java or C++)?
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scripting or coding for Netscape Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scripting or coding for Netscape Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 12:07 AM PST

Just export it all and then either import it all or use the exported files to create your import file.

As to some of your questions, you should research this on google.com and of course KRUGLE.COM

Bob

Collapse -
?
by tapasvis / December 3, 2007 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Frankly?

Thanks for the reply.
I don't quite get what you mean by 'export it all'. I'm trying to compact all the local folders and then export them to pst. For the export part I'm pretty sure I would first need to parse the mboxrd file that Netscape Mail uses and them somehow write that info to a new Outlook pst. I could probably figure out the export part, however the folder compaction part is where I would really need assistance.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Defining goals rather than steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: ?

Your goal is set as getting the content to PST or rather Outlook. Why define the steps? Or rather why would I bother to compress at all?

Bob

Collapse -
Time and Space
by tapasvis / December 3, 2007 9:05 AM PST

Well, compacting the Netscape Mail folders gets rid of the items that were marked for deletion. If I don't do that, I end up with a whole lot of extra mail that isn't required and that will take up unnecessary space and time (to transfer).

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: Time and Space
Collapse -
Standard compacting not the issue
by tapasvis / December 3, 2007 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

Well,
The problem isn't compacting the Netscape folders...it's how to do it via a script. I've already been doing it manually.
I wanted to write a script that could run the compacting process and export the data to an Outlook pst all in one go.

Collapse -
Why not ...
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2007 6:45 PM PST

skip deleted messages in the script that copies the messages?

Kees

Collapse -
Good Idea
by tapasvis / December 3, 2007 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Why not ...

That's a pretty good idea, didn't even think of that.
However, the only issue that arises with this approach is that we would need to know the method Netscape uses to mark messages as deleted.

Collapse -
Like you will have to know ...
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2007 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Good Idea

the method that Netscape uses to register senders, receivers, times received, subject line, contents, attachments. Seems like just one more attribute

Kees

Collapse -
I suppose
by tapasvis / December 3, 2007 11:05 PM PST

I suppose that's true. Finding information on this is proving to be pretty hard. I found some old source code for Netscape Messenger and found the developer forum at Mozilla.org and MozDev.org, maybe these will help.
Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?