Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Script error/bug on forms HTML possibly identified

by Dango517 / May 26, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

See item marked A this is were the errors occur. Unfortunately it was not showing when I created this thread, I'll post it later.

Item B these two lines of program are missing a question marks (?). All other entries for these buttons include the question mark. There are other inconsistencies with these two lines of program as well.

http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenhunter02may262315vp1.gif

That errors driving me buggy! Grin

And now for musical entertainment....."Jive Talkin":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bNSaLE3YM7U

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Script error/bug on forms HTML possibly identified
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Script error/bug on forms HTML possibly identified
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see anything there...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

As to part A, you said it wasn't occurring at the time of the posting, but you didn't say what errors they were/are.

As to part B, the question marks just indicate that the content following is part of a querystring, which you could consider as variables being passed back to the web server. In this case, the tag is indicating the page you're coming from, so Cnet and monitor traffic on its site. Elsewhere it's used to maintain your registration ID, form data, or even which post you're currently posting a response to. (http://forums.cnet.com/5224-7598_102-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=296113&messageID=2781547) Question marks are not needed, though, if there is no querystring to be passed back. Such is the case with those two links, since Cnet doesn't care how you get to them for traffic analysis.

John

Collapse -
See
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 12:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ah, ok...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2008 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: See

What I find interesting there is that the first line of the "Forum real-time activity" link is missing while the second half is visible. It hasn't happened to me (though I've said that before just to get hit by it moments later), but does it continue in Firefox or Opera, and with the Yahoo/Google toolbars turned off?

John

Collapse -
Just did it again but corrected itself
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Ah, ok...

after a few moments. This has been doing this for months. I reported it once before, see the archives this will give you a time line. Since it's random it would be very difficult to disable the toolbars. Sometimes it goes on for days, some times just for a few visits. I believe the buttons still work, you just can't see them. Today it's been happening briefly then correcting, this is new and hasn't happened before.

Ask Jive Software to run a debugger it would find the problem quickly. Seems JAVA is equipped with a debugger, maybe, I realize there maybe many versions of Java so this may not be the right one.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/jdb.html

Collapse -
Yes the buttons are still there
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 2:31 AM PDT

and reappear once you press them. Only the one you press becomes visible the others remain invisible.

Collapse -
Just realized something
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

now that we have "Forum real-time activity" that button gets pushed many, many times per day. It and those above it are the ones having problems. My PC is quick so I might be using it more then most. This might be effecting the faster PCs only.

Collapse -
Interesting...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2008 3:24 AM PDT

One other question...did this start happening before or after you experimented with IE8?

John

Collapse -
Nope
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting...

it was happening long before then if memory servers me right. I'm very tired at the moment but I believe this is correct.

Collapse -
Too bad...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Several months ago there were a host of problems with similar occurrences, but I haven't heard of any others recently. Just one of those cases where you cross your fingers that it's just a browser quirk and not another site issue that's pending the snowball effect. Sad

John

Collapse -
One thing I notice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Probably not relevant of course, but interesting.

The CNET colors your page is displaying. They all look like normal CNET web page colors, but the navigation tabs along the top are different colors to mine.

I'm talking about the "Today on CNET, Reviews, News, Download", etc tab buttons. In your two images they are blue. In mine they are green, example below;

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1610/cnetfp2.jpg

Is this just an interesting quirk, or are our browser settings different? More strangely, I notice in the image from your first post that the colors are the same as mine.

Mark

Collapse -
I'm not screwing with you.
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: One thing I notice

I used paint bucket to color that box and it bleed into the tabs. That fault has not been "doctored", it exists.

I see it like this. That glitch is an annoyance. We provide assistance to others in fix there computer so ours should work properly.

If my toolbars were a problem I'd be having the problem elsewhere too; I'm not.

You have a problem that you don't know how to fix or can't fix.

I've done the right thing and reported the problem to you twice. I can't force you to fix it. I've spent enough time on this, I'm done. I can live with it.

Collapse -
What I said in post 12 was "over the top".
by Dango517 / May 28, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

I apologize.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?