Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screwed up reinstallation of xp

by Boothbay / September 15, 2007 9:36 AM PDT

I got the typical problem out of nowhere this morning. Last night XP was just fine,
and this morning at first boot up, the typical files appeared when
there is a problem...win.com, DBluff,Himem and etc were either missing
or corrupted....So no way to restore it, the recovery disk couldn't,
so I had to reinstall it on another partition. Okay, fine...now, I
wanted to copy my AOL program over to the new partition from the C
drive and its just not there...gone. How is this possible? I did not
do anything to the C drive where I had aol and XP installed previously. In fact,
I do not even see the old windows. Add/remove shows nothing as far as
any programs installed. When I first booted up after the
reinstallment, a menu appeared showing me 3 xp versions...the top one
was highlighted. It asked me which one should I start. I HAD NO
IDEA...SO i CHOSE THE HIGHLIGHTED ONE AND IT TURNED OUT THAT IT WAS
THE NEW VERSION. i DID A search for aol in all my partitions and none
show up and I made sure that in Folders options, I checked to show all
hidden files and etc. I'm going nuts.
Windows asked me if I wanted to install xp in another partition and highlighted it. I chose to say yes, because there were files on the old c drive that I wanted to copy over. my system is P4 2.80 mhz 1024 mb hidden files and etc. I'm going nuts, I said that, didn't I?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screwed up reinstallation of xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screwed up reinstallation of xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well ,here is what to do.
by YankeesNYwins / September 16, 2007 11:12 PM PDT

Reboot and each time choose a different operating system to open and then you will know which operating system is valid.

You will then have to edit the boot loader...it is easy..
I am not going to tell you how to edit the boot loader unless you answer.

AOL is so easy to install...on the new operating system just reinstall AOL...you will have all your AOL stuff just like on the other operating system.

Collapse -
Here's what to do
by Boothbay / September 16, 2007 11:49 PM PDT

HI, thanks. Right now, AOL is the least of my problem. I do know which of the 3 shown windows is the last one that i reinstalled. ..but puzzled by various reactions since. I see a complete blank when I try to see in add/remove area of control panel. It turned out that windows chose a partition on my secondary drive which was unallocated space, and its a logical one. I have 3 hd's and removed 2 of them via power and ide conn's..to isolate my problem. Upon doing a reboot, all my partitions are still shown, despite the fact that I actually removed 2 of the hd's. Now how is that possible? Some of those parts are on the removed hd's. The quagmire increases? Oh yes, that installation went to the hd that is shared with my dvd and its a slave to the dvd. and its on the secondary ide connectors. Whew! XP disk management says its healthy and bootable...I vouch for the bootable part.
Aren't you glad you answered? LOL

Collapse -
Yes, I am glad I helped you.
by YankeesNYwins / September 17, 2007 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what to do

Listen, you post a picture of your hard drive and I'll tell you how to fix it. It is easy to fix...

Here are the steps to post a picture on the internet .Takes three minutes.

1. Post the picture on your desktop.
2. Click on print screen key. It is the key to the right of F12.
3. Click on paint. Paint is found under Start, programs, accessories, paint. Right click on it and "pin to start menu".
4. Click on edit and click on "paste".
5. Click on file and "save as" and change to JPEG format so it is in KB's and not MB's.
6. Save it to the desktop.
7. Open image shack and click on browse. http://imageshack.us/
8. Click on desktop because that is where you saved the picture.
9. Click on the picture and it loads on image shack. Click "host it'.
10. When image shack loads it is small. Click on it and make it big.
11. Right click on it and get the URL or copy the url from the address bar if it is visible. Either one will work because they are the same.
12. Save it to bookmarks and post the url in your notes for reference.

Collapse -
Here is very good advice.
by YankeesNYwins / September 17, 2007 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what to do

When you install an operating system you alway look at the available partitions where installation could take place and give the one you want to use a special name so you install where you want to install...

Not hit or miss like you appear to have done...like installing on any thing that is hightlighted not knowing what or where it is.

Collapse -
Hard drive picture my version
by Boothbay / September 17, 2007 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
It is not a program.
by YankeesNYwins / September 17, 2007 3:19 AM PDT

I posted and told you exactly how to post a picture above. It is easy.

Your link is not a picture that you just posted.
It is a link to this thread only.

http://imageshack.us/

Collapse -
i tried
by Boothbay / September 17, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: It is not a program.

Let me understand...you want a breakdown of all the partitions shown in that hd? For the one u recommend i have to go all through registering in order to do what u want me to. Why not give me your email address and I will send you the actual jpg? I have to go to the dentist so I'm pressed for time to do what u originally asked me to do

Collapse -
OK
by YankeesNYwins / September 17, 2007 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: i tried

Here is an email address I use on the internet...YankeesNYwins@aol.com

It does not matter if anyone gets it because it is never ever used unless I tell someone to use it then I monitor it.

Collapse -
OK, you do exactly like I tell you...
by YankeesNYwins / September 17, 2007 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: i tried

OK, you do exactly like I tell you...

1. Make folders in the main Drive C in MY DOCUMENTS {this is you only primary partition} and name the folders Earl {E}, F {Fred} L {Larry}, G, {Glen}. H, Harry, I [Indian}, J, {Jim}

2. Start with J and copy the material in J into the folder {Jim} in my documents.

3. Open partition magic {after it is copied into the folder in my documents labeled Jim} and right click on J partition and select DELETE and click apply and it will delete J and it will now be unallocated.

4. Do the exact same thing for I {Indian} {make sure you copy the contents of Indian into the folder labeled Indian in My Documents before you delete partition I [Indian}.

5. Do the exact same thing for H {Harry} {make sure you copy the contents of Harry into the folder labeled Harry in My Documents before you delete partition H [Harry}.

6. Do the exact same thing for G {Glen} {make sure you copy the contents of Glen into the folder labeled Glen in My Documents before you delete partition G [Glen}.

7. L, Larry is the operating system...{the one you installed and didn't know where it went, which installed on a logical partition}.Right click on L {Larry} and just delete it.

8. Do the exact same thing for F {Fred} {make sure you copy the contents of Fred into the folder labeled Fred in My Documents before you delete partition F [Fred}.

9. Do the exact same thing for E {Earl} {make sure you copy the contents of Earl into the folder labeled Earl in My Documents before you delete partition E[Earl}.

10. Now Drive C= 19.93 GB's and you have 48.81 GB's of unallocated space.

You have to tell me what you want to do now.

If you want to install another operating system I'll tell you how.

There are some things you must do first...

Drive C should not be Fat 32 file system , it should be NTFS file system so right click on drive C and convert to NTFS,

11. Right click on the 48.81 unallocated space and format and choose NTFS.

You have to let me know what you want to do next.

The folders in "My Documents" holding the data from the partitions will NOT stay there. Even though Drive C held all the contents it used up a lot of the room on Drive C.

YankeesNYwins

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?