General discussion

Screwed Up Again!

After having to use system restore a few weeks ago and then re-installing various programs, I thought things were back to normal . . . Wrong!

Each time I tried to use "word" or "excel" a window box would open and tell me that the computer needed to format the program (I'm sure that's not the correct phrase), so I decided to uninstall MS Office using add/remove programs. Then I re-installed it using the CD that came with my purchase.

Office works great now, but somehow I deleted other program files. When I open the start menu, most things are missing. For example in System Tools, everything is gone - disk clean-up, defrag etc. All of my pre-installed games (solitaire etc.) are gone. When I uninstalled Office there was a program beside it with the same icon that I thought was a program with associated files to Office. Maybe it wasn't. That's the only thing I can think of.? Any ideas?

using a Compaq Pesario, with MS XP and 2007 Office -Home and Student.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Screwed Up Again!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Screwed Up Again!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Good news.

There is a tool to re-create those shortcuts and menus for those that don't do that themselves. Let's find it.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/accessories.htm

Yes, I know that's cheating but I find folk are often looking for the quick and easy fix.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank You . . . again!

It worked Bob. Don't know what I'd do without you and the others on CNET. I try to rationalize and analyze each situation before I ask for help, but sometimes one realizes he is just totally lost and out of his element.

Just curious though, what do you think I did that caused those short cuts to go missing?

roy

- Collapse -
Why is the hard question but consider this.

These are simple shortcuts that exist as files in some folder on the HDD. Delete that folder and this happens.

The apps are still there but many are not going to learn how to create shortcuts so folk have been kind enough to create a helpful app to do the work for us.
Bob

CNET Forums