Since everyone is mentioning their favorite screen capture programs...here's mine ... "Print Screen Deluxe" by American Systems in the business since '94. I've been using it since it first came out and the current version is 6.0.
It's a full-featured program allowing the user to set the screen capture key (or use 'Print Screen' from your keyboard); to set a default file type and directory to store all screen captures; to name, print the entire screen or just the active window; to select freeform or a shaped object capture (oval, rectangle, etc.,)of a portion of the screen captured, etc., etc., etc.,
By far the best I've tried.
PS...Here's some further info from an independent organization .. Windows Usergroup aka WUGNET".
"The Microsoft & WUGNET Shareware Pick of the Week for Windows XP. Each week Microsoft and WUGNET feature a Windows shareware application demonstrating the very highest programming standards possible today. Each application selected for this award is exhaustively reviewed under all operating situations and of the applications submitted...less than two percent make the cut. It is our intent to showcase only the very "best-of-the-best" applications.
Print Screen Deluxe by American Systems
Download Print Screen Deluxe (3.3 MB) Buy Online with Secure Server - $29.95
Print Screen Deluxe is the original and still a top-of-the-line screen capture utility. It provides a fast and easy way to capture, print and save your screen. One keystroke does it all! With one keystroke you can capture and print the entire screen, the current window, a selected region, and more. You can capture your screen instantly, or after a time delay. Includes a thumbnail viewer. Add arrows, text and use the yellow highlight tool to add comments and to notate your captures! Supports 25 file formats. Live Update will make sure that you always have the latest version.
Print Screen Deluxe saves you time by printing your screens and windows in one keystroke. It works seamlessly with your MAPI compliant Email software to Email your screen shots. There's even a time-delay function that lets you position screen elements before the screen-capture takes place. You can also shrink, and stretch your image, and perform many image enhancing functions on it such as Mirror (both vertical and horizontal), Gray Scale, Gamma Correction, and many more. 25 graphics image formats are also supported! This is the screen capture program you owe it to yourself to try.
- Capture, entire screen, active window, window, auto scrolling window, Clipboard images and text
- Capture images in the shape of a rectangle, round rectangle, ellipse, triangle, polygon, or even a freehand area!
- Capture your menus too!
- Auto Scroll. Allows you to capture the an entire web page or other document when much of it is not visible.
- Automatic Thumbnail viewer .. see all your captures
- Auto Save mode allows you to set a default directory where files are saved, You can reset the counter and delete the contents with the click of a button!
- Notate your images with arrows, text and yellow highlights
- Time delay screen capture
- Save images in 25 file formats
- Capture to an animated GIF (movie) file