Question

Screensavers

Today I noticed that my screensaver won't stay on. I have it set to activate after 10 minutes and it goes on but immediately goes off. It is one of several I have that are activated scenery and play music. Up puntil now they have been working just fine.
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Screensavers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Screensavers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
No details, so just guessing

Assuming this is Windows and not any other OS, but without make and model computer, or any other information, I'm just guessing that something is interrupting the screen saver.

Any programs running? Anything running in the background? Any file sharing going on? Is the computer on a home network?

Look for something that s interrupting the screen saver.

Mark

- Collapse -
Screensavers

Thanks, Mark. No to everything...it is Windows 7 and an HP notebook. I just got it to work and can't tell you why!? A total mystery...so I will see if it continues the rest of the day.

- Collapse -
Screensaver

Now it's acting up again..it will start, but only stay on about a minute..or less. How do I find something that is interrupting the screen saver? I have my email and Facebook open right now. Actually, I always have them open when I am on line and this has never happened before.

- Collapse -
Are you using a laser mouse on a shiny/laminated surface?

Because devices like that on those type of surfaces can cause the cursor to appear to move across the screen and could interrupt the screensaver.

- Collapse -
Screensaver

Yes on the mouse..no on the shiny surface. that makes sense, though.

- Collapse -
Screen saver acting up again.

That might be a good clue.

If you have applications open when this screen saver starts, then if there is 'any' activity in the applications, this can cause the system to stop the screen saver and revert back to the Desktop.

Email can still be active, if a new email is received. I don't know about a browser page with Facebook as I don't use FB, but here's a test for you. Close down all open applications, then test the Screen saver.

Phone company internet. What does that mean? Do you connect to the internet using your mobile phone, or is this "Always On" internet via a cable to a router or a modem? Either way, if any internet traffic is received or sent whilst the screen saver is on, then that might halt the ss.

Other than that it is difficult to diagnose. You could open the Task Manager and watch the Process tab to see if any process other than "System idle" is continuously using CPU time, even with no applications open. Or there could be malware, but I assume you scan regularly with your anti-virus and other anti-malware scanners.

Home network - two or more computers in the home sharing the same internet connection.

Mark

- Collapse -
screensaver acting up

Mark-
My internet connection is through a wireless modem and I pay through my phone company.
There are no other computers in the house.
I used the task manager and I didn't see a "system idle" category, but it showed that the only thing on the list under CPU time was my google chrome browser.
I do scan regularly...just did it about two days ago.
oh well.....
I really appreciate your input.

- Collapse -
screensaver acting up..

I swear..this thing is making a fool out of me!! Suddenly it is working...?

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: Computer help forum: Screensavers

There maybe something interrupting the screen saver.

CNET Forums