Computer Help forum

General discussion

Screensaver woes

Note: I did post this on the Vista forum, but got no help.

Acer 17" laptop 9410Z with Vista Premium / 1GB & 120 Hard Drive

I cannot find a screensaver that is causing my pc to run poorly.
It is still on the pc because I can run it, but don't want to.
Problem is: How the heck do I find it to uninstall it? It is not
listed when I go to the 'Uninstall Programs' area. I have tried
the simple search using the name 'Fractals', .exe, .scr, screensaver,
Comis (the screensaver company), etc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screensaver woes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screensaver woes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
gk200852

In reply to: Screensaver woes

Have you tried show hidden files in Windows

This screensaver seems unreliable,maybe run some scans.

Maybe a bad install,try reinstalling.

Tom

Collapse -
Will try

In reply to: gk200852

I can't find it to try & reinstall it. How do I do the search you suggested? I have tried an anvanced search in the C drive (I think). Nothing shows up titled 'Fractals'. I do know it is a .exe file because I found it and got rid of it on my old pc with Windows ME.

Jerry

Collapse -
There Was A Response In The Vista Forum.. But...

In reply to: Screensaver woes

..unfortunately, you did NOT respond back.. If something doesn't work, it sure helps if you let us know..

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=254814&messageID=2530011&tag=mcnt#2530011

The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be..

Why do you think that it's the screensaver causing your computer to "run poorly"? What EXACTLY is happening?

What is the exact message that you got from Windows Defender warning you about the screensaver? (I'm guessing its spyware or a trojan but we'll need more info to know for sure.)

If you think it's a screensaver but you can't find it, how do you know it's a screensaver? Does it display itself as like a screensaver? Can you see it in the screensaver listings?

More information would sure help.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry

In reply to: There Was A Response In The Vista Forum.. But...

Sorry I can't respond quickly. I'm at work, and only by a pc during down time which is rare & sporadic. I REALLY do appreciate the held. There was a message from ?Defender? that said it was installed wrong and causing my pc to run slowly.
Gotta a radio call, gotta run.

Jerry

Collapse -
What EXACTLY Did Defender Say?

In reply to: sorry

The EXACT error message will help us..

At this point, have you done a full system scan with Windows Defender to see if it's something other than a screen saver issue? If not, please do.

To attempt the reinstall of the screen saver per Tomron's suggestion, have you tried searching Google for the screensaver? Check the link below:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Fractals+screen+saver&btnG=Google+Search

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: What EXACTLY Did Defender Say?

I only saw the message once, and didn't write it down. I will try your other suggestions in about an hour when I get home. THANKS, and have fun & safe holiday.

Jerry

Collapse -
No luck, but thanks

In reply to: Thanks

Thanks for the replies. My main problem still exist.
I just can't find the dang screensaver to uninstall it.
I did send the company another email asking them how to find their screensaver.

Jerry

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.