Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

screensaver text

by MaireCeitinn / March 21, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

I would like to have a screensaver which i could use to remind myself of things. I would need to be able to enter text on it. Is there anything like that available? I use Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: screensaver text
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: screensaver text
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Already built into WinXP
by ChuckT / March 21, 2007 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: screensaver text

Select Display properties, Screen Saver tab,
Screen saver: 3D Text
click on [Settings]
change Custon Text to "whatever"
change any of the options you might want as well.

Collapse -
the built-in doesnt provide for enough text...
by MaireCeitinn / March 21, 2007 2:20 PM PDT

Hi Chuck, thank u. However, i have gone off and tried that and it doesn't let me go beyond 20 characters. I would like to have enough space to write approx 8 short bullet point sentences.

Collapse -
Try what is offered here...
by Edward ODaniel / March 22, 2007 3:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
8 sentences!
by ChuckT / March 22, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

8 sentences! even short ones, and you want that as a screen saver?
geeze, you don't ask for much.
I do know a screen saver way, but it is as clumsy as heck, and nothing that I would want to often - repeatably update.
Instead you might look into desktop stickies, sort of like an electronic version of the yellow PostIt pads. Or even a desktop that maintains a click-able calendar and "To Do" list on the desktop.

There are a lot of possibilities "out there" and I am not going to hazard a guess as to what might work better for you, without knowing more about either your requirements and capabilities and expertise.

Good luck.

Collapse -
^__^
by nameless84 / March 21, 2007 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: screensaver text

Dont use 3D Text, just use Marquee. ^__^

Collapse -
Yeah, Marquee is better
by ChuckT / March 22, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ^__^

Yeah, Marquee is better, sorry. I wasn't thinking.
However, even Marquee will not allow you to enter 8 bulleted sentences.

I just did a test, and found that Marquee permits up to 254 characters. I could not find a way on getting a line break, or a newline anywhere in there.

Collapse -
I am reading your messages avidly and im trying out
by MaireCeitinn / March 22, 2007 9:36 AM PDT

some of the stuff. So far i have nothing to report back. Marquee nearly worked for me - i put the sentences in the same row, but it wouldnt handle any more than 5 sentences. I am trying the things you are suggesting in the forum, and also i had an idea of my own - to save text in a photo editor as .bmp and then using it with the screensaver My Pictures Slideshow. Pleae keep up the good suggestions and i will tell you if i am finding a solution - thanks to you all so far.

Collapse -
Using your own textual screen saver
by ChuckT / March 22, 2007 1:09 PM PDT

That was what I was eluding to, but I did not want to give anymore details because I think it is such a terrible way of keeping notes to yourself (to make up graphics where you make a .BMP of yours notes). By the way, you do not need for them to be .BMP (unless you are using Win98 or less). WinXP can handle other graphic formats as well.

But since you have brought it up, I guess it doesn't hurt to give you a pointer or two. If you are using WinXP, you can use the "My Pictures Slideshow" screen saver. With that you can put your images (the text saved as a graphic image) into any folder you want. Just only use those images that you want to appear as a screen saver in that folder). Then, change the [Settings], Use the pictures in this folder" selection to point to that folder.

However, I think this is a terrible way of keeping notes to yourself. I would rather spend an hour of searching for the correct freeware of doing what you want, than just 10 minutes of making "text images" for notes. The notes created that way will not be editable. Any changes and you will have to recreate the images again. And every update will be another time spent in making new images. Just way too clumsy.

Collapse -
Reminder/note software
by ChuckT / March 22, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

I suggest you look for some reminder/note software.
For example at: NoNags

Collapse -
Got what i wanted. Reporting back + big THANK U ALL
by MaireCeitinn / March 24, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Reminder/note software

hi all, i found a place on Microsoft called "Create a screensaver from slides" at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/HA010797731033.aspx?pid=CH062556201033. With this there were no problems with getting things into separate lines etc, the only slight restriction was that a slide doesnt look its best trying to fit in 8 sentences. This was easy to resolve by creating 2 slides. Many, many thanks to you - i would never have found the solution without the impetus of your suggestions, and implied faith that there is a way! I wish you the very best, and hope your kindness returns to you manyfold. cheers, M Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.