Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screensaver

by jxg344 / May 1, 2004 2:17 PM PDT

My screensaver has never worked since I bought this computer (HP Pavilion 2.66 Pentium 4). I'm running Windows Media Cener Edition and set up a screensaver to go on after a few minutes of inactivity. Is it because I'm hooked up to a cable internet provider, or is it something I can fix? Thanks, Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screensaver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screensaver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP Pavillion screensaver absent
by wireman98 / May 19, 2006 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Screensaver

I too own an HP Pavillion notebook in which the screensaver has never worked. I own a dv5030us that is only a few weeks old. The screen saver has never worked. I run Windows XP pro. My machine has a AMD Turion64 processor.
HP tech help was of no value at all. After performing numerous tasks, they even asked me to download "Chicken Little", a third party screensaver that didn't work either. Then they just stopped answering my calls for help.
I would like to have a screen saver. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Just to point something out
by slick62 / June 4, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

I have seen more than 10 HP having that issue with the screensaver. I have been able to get them back just by uninstalling the drivers of the Wireless keyboard and mouse and letting Windows uses it default drivers... I don't know if this example applies to you as well but it is kind of some other info where to look...

Hope this help

Collapse -
SCREENSAVER DOES NOT START
by allenpat99 / March 24, 2007 1:40 AM PDT

HI - I WAS READING THE FORUM AND WANTED TO ASK YOU FOR FURTHER INFO. I HAVE A COMPAQ RUNNING WINDOWS XP. MY SCREENSAVER DID COME ON AT ONE TIME, BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN IT STOPPED WORKING. I DO HAVE A WIRELESS MOUSE WHICH USES A USB PORT. CAN YOU GIVE ME A MORE DETAILED, STEP BY STEP DESCRIPTION OF HOW YOU MEAN FOR THIS TO BE DONE. I USE A COMPUTER QUITE A BIT BUT AM MAINLY SELF TAUGHT AND DON'T UNDERSTAND A LOT OF THE TERMINOLOGY. I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MY SCREENSAVER BACK. THANKS. PAT

Collapse -
When you say, "never worked", what do you mean?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 5:10 AM PDT

What happens when the screen saver is supposed to start?

Have you tested the screen savers by Previewing them? If so, what happens?

Mark

Collapse -
no screen saver
by wireman98 / May 19, 2006 10:03 AM PDT

Thanks for the response. The screensaver has never come on. When the time allotment is up, nothing happens. Screensaver just does not come on and there is no change in the screen at all. No sounds, no prompts, no dimming, nothing at all happens.
All the screensavers run just fine in the preview mode. I've changed screensavers, and times. I even installed a third party screensaver as insructed by HP tech support. Still no screensaver.

Collapse -
Re: no screen saver
by Tufenuf / May 19, 2006 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: no screen saver
Collapse -
Still no screensaver
by wireman98 / May 20, 2006 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: no screen saver

Thanks for the suggestion. I clicked the link and did what they instructed to "enable screensaver". I got a "malicious script" prompt but allowed it. Still no screensaver.

Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / May 20, 2006 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Still no screensaver

You've got some process running in the background that keeps it thinking it is busy and so the screen saver, and other power modes, never kick in.

Go into msconfig (start/run and type in msconfig and hit enter) and uncheck the startup group on the first page that comes up. Then see if the screen saver will kick in. If so, you know it is one of the startup items. So then you go to the Startup tab of msconfig and start adding those things back in until the problem reoccurs and you will have found your culprit. For testing purposes, set your screen saver to turn on after 1 minute.

Tom

Collapse -
SCREENSAVER
by wireman98 / May 21, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Collapse -
screen saver
by katea2 / June 4, 2006 6:37 AM PDT

Thanks for the info...but the screen saver will not come on if time is set for anything over 3 mins. It will appear from 1-3 mins but not any time after 3.
kate

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How about system restore
by tomron / June 4, 2006 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: screen saver
Collapse -
screensaver
by cory28 / August 4, 2006 2:15 PM PDT

It was a back ground program running that caused the problem,so I followed your advice and went to-start-run msconfig-start up and found the culpit (ehtray )a windows program. thanks

Collapse -
I have a screen saver, originally was installed into program
by DarCLew2 / May 20, 2006 9:47 AM PDT

file from www.winsite.com, but I installed in the same file for WINXP Home Edition and it should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32. There are pictures of what appears to be a monitor screen with their names on it like beziers, etc. right click and click on install. It should show up in your display. To see if it is working, click on display and make sure you don't move your mouse. The one I had downloaded was RELAX16 but it may have malware or virus attached to it. Just make sure your AV is active and run antispyware you have. It always leaves my screen saver ok. Originally, it was installed (saved) in Programs. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.