Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screen went, and remained, blank. Help - please.

by ablelady / June 3, 2006 8:23 PM PDT

Hello, i'm hoping fo some help...
I woke up this morning to find my moniter appeared not to be receiving any information from my computer. It was blank. I tried it on another compuetr and it worked. I tried another moniter on my computer, it didn't work. I have tried going in in safe mode but nothing.
Computer is making all the right noises with all the right lights.
The previous night i changed a few things around:
- Moved my Virtual Memory to another physical drive and bumped it up to 2560MB.
- I turned off some Services such as indexing and non essential stuff like that.

I run:
XP Pro.
1024MB Ram
Award mother board with a 2600MHZ Processor
NVidia Ge Force 5200 vid card
MAudio Delta sound card

Im afraid that is all the info i can give - i can't ask my computer anything else because it won't look at me!
If anyone can help id be eternally grateful.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen went, and remained, blank. Help - please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen went, and remained, blank. Help - please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the BIOS screen appear?
by John.Wilkinson / June 4, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

My first question is whether or not the BIOS screen appears on boot. That would help narrow down the possible causes of the problem.

If nothing ever appears, including the BIOS screen, I'd start by looking at the graphics card. Try removing the Nvidia GeForce 5200 and plugging the monitor into the integrated graphics off the motherboard. That will tell you if the card went south or not.

If BIOS does appear, I'd first try a repair installation of Windows and see what comes of it. Note that a repair installation should leave your files and programs in tact.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Ta
by ablelady / June 4, 2006 9:01 AM PDT

Thanks John.
The BIOS screen doesn't come up so i'll try your first option.

Collapse -
NEVER CHANGE DEFAULT VM
by ask4anu / June 4, 2006 9:35 AM PDT

windows adjust your vm based on how much CACHE(RAM you have on your computer and unless you have over 2 gigs of ram then you have set vm WRONG what vm does is when your computer runs out of physical ram windows starts caching to hard drive if you set this to high it will cause all kinds of mysteriuos problems with your system and if you cant get into SAFE MODE you are screwed and the only way u have to fix is to make cd rom frist boot device in BIOS save using F10 and load cd in cd rom then REBOOT DO a LOW LEVEL Format (WIN XP REPAIR MODE) from CD choose option to reinstall xp and fallow options till you see reapir windows xp it will reinstall clean os files and load back all software with you losing any DATA but it will fix the VM problem and after that DONT MESS WITH VM YOU WILL GET NO PREFORMANCE GAINS FROM USING A HIGHER SETTING
AND YOUR COMPUTER WILL BE WAY MORE STABLE what happened is your video card drivers became corrupt buy the high setting in vm u used if not the WHOLE OS FILE SYSTEM

Collapse -
Uh...
by John.Wilkinson / June 4, 2006 1:37 PM PDT

Aside from the extremely long run-on sentence you got there, there are some problems:

1.) Virtual memory is not used solely when you run out of physical memory...no matter how much RAM your system has, virtual memory will still be used. Just launch the Task manager now, click on the Performance tab, and look at the paging file usage. I have 2GB of RAM installed...just over half a gig being used, plus 800MB+ of my paging file.

2.) A paging file with a fixed size of 2560MB is fine, even if the user has less than 2GB RAM. Depending on who you ask, they may recommend having the paging file set 1.5 to 4 times that of your physical RAM.

3.) Although Windows XP can only handle a maximum of a 4GB paging file, setting the number higher does not have a negative effect on your system. It will not corrupt your video card drivers or the file system. The only negative side effect is that you are reducing the amount of space available on your hard drive as it's being reserved for the paging file.

4.) There can be performance gains by increasing the size of your paging file...think of when you run out of virtual memory...would it not help to have more? In addition, a fixed file size eliminates the need for it to be expanded and contracted by Windows automatically to accommodate the ever-changing requirements, which some say actually helps performance.

5.) Performing a repair installation of Windows does not change the settings for the Windows paging file.

John

P.S. No matter what you do to Windows and your paging file, it still wouldn't prevent BIOS from loading/appearing, which is what David is experiencing. Thus, this issue extends far beyond virtual memory.

Collapse -
In addition
by Amos16 / June 5, 2006 12:02 AM PDT

to everything else, maybe even before that, I would check all physical connections, plugs, etc. to see if something there has come loose. Amos

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.