General discussion

Screen tearing on HDTV while playing a video game????

Hi guys!

I have had A LOT of trouble trying to figure this out but here it goes! I have a 37inch LG hdtv (model number 37LH40) of which I have been playing my xbox360 on with an HDMI cable included to set the resolution at full 1080p. My question is, I get a slight "tearing" at the edges of the screen against any stational object, such as the hud (heads up displays) that display information like health, ammo, ext..

What I mean by this tearing is that whenever I pan my camera angle and walk or turn with the controller, those images and sides of the screen sort of create a distorted image around those objects and create "doubles"? I know it seems vague, but its hard to describe the exact word? Thanks for any help or direction you guys could point me into!

-adam

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Screen tearing on HDTV while playing a video game????
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Screen tearing on HDTV while playing a video game????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I've seen that.

The xbox later failed and MSFT swapped it for another one.

- Collapse -
Got it

It is likely an issue with the game itself. Its something called "v-sync" that must be enabled in a game engine to keep that from happening. Enabling v-sync can cause a hit to performance, so many games don't have it, and thus the screen tears. For example, I know of one game (Bioshock) that allows you to disable it to get a smoother framerate, but again you get tearing. Hope that helps.

CNET Forums

Forum Info