User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 631.90 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.41 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Approximately one month ago I had to change my monitor from CRT to LCD. The previous Monitor was Samsung SyncMaster 551V the now monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 740NW. Just about the time of its installation my video card, a Trident 1440 or something, had to be removed because it had no driver and anyway, the same was no longer supported. I had to use the onboard video card 53 graphics Pro Savage DDR.

I have since discovered since that was done my screen resolution cannot be changes from 800 by 600 to any other resolution. I have tried to change the same but it just won't give. I also note that the DVI of the LCD monitor is is not attached. I don't know what that is so I am in the dark here.

I shall be as always, very thankfull for your assistance in resolving the problem.

standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen Resolution cannot be Changed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen Resolution cannot be Changed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I See A Couple Of Options..

In reply to: Screen Resolution cannot be Changed.

First, make sure that you install the Monitor.inf file for your new monitor.. If it didn't come on a CD with the monitor, then visit the monitor manufacturer's site to download and install the file.

1. Find an updated driver for your onboard video card and install it. It might support an increased resolution for the wider screen..

2. Purchase a new video card for your machine which supports the wide screen display..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Screen Resolution cannot be changed.

In reply to: I See A Couple Of Options..

Hello Grif

Thank you for your suggestions.

I shall be following up on them immediately and will report back as soon as I am finished.

Again, thank you for the swift reply.

Best regards.

standeb.

Collapse -
Re: Screen Resolution cannot be changed.

Hello Griff,

I did find the Monitor namely 20070314095745656_sm740NW.exe. I ran the same and dialogue box came up indicating installation successfull.

The search for the onboard video controller is so daunting. I just came up with ProSavageDDR ID 8D04, Chip Name: ProSavageDDR 420,430 it seems to be no longer supported with updates. I also found and I ask whether S3G Graphics ProSavageDDR Display Driver for Windows XP Version 14.10.0033-1394.33 WHQL certified for 8D04 is useable. I found the above near the end of the page at S3 Graphics Co., Ltd. at http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.:

If the same is useable can you give the download and installation instructions?

The above exercise has been confusing to me.

Thanking you in advance for your kind attention.

standeb.

Collapse -
I See A Couple of Options

Hello All

Perhaps because of the forums busy schedule my reply thread of yesterdays date might have gone unnoticed. I shall be happy to provide any further information you may require with a view to a resolution of the problem.

Thanking you in advance for your further advice recommendations and/or comments.

Best regards,

standeb.

Collapse -
How about downloading ...

In reply to: I See A Couple of Options

Belarc Adviser - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - which, after running it, will tell you all about your video and most likely offer a link to latest drivers.

Those video drivers most likely came either on the CD that came with the motherboard (if it is onboard video), the system CD that came with a pre-built system, or in the box the video card came in.

Collapse -
Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed

In reply to: How about downloading ...

Hi Edward,

I have Belarc Advisor. I will try that to see what I get. I have already go the driver for the monitor and the one for the video controller as advised by Griff, but as they say, the more information you have the better prepared you will be next time.

Thank you again for your invaluable response.

Best regards.

standeb

Collapse -
Been Busy Lately.. But..

In reply to: I See A Couple of Options

Sorry, I've not responded quicker.. I've been busy installing Windows Updates and fixing issues with some of my customers which are using ZoneAlarm.. The newest Windows Updates have caused some issue with ZA users but it's fixed now..

Oh well, on to your issue.. Have you tried the S3 ProSavage DDR display driver indicated in the link below? It comes from S3's "Legacy Driver" page and might be worth a shot:

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.jsp#id_420drv

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed

In reply to: Been Busy Lately.. But..

Hello Griff.

Thank you for your reply thread. I am aware that you are a very busy person just as the others at C net and by reason whereof thought my thread may have been inadvertently missed. My gratitude for your invaluable time, patience and expertise is herewith expressed. No need for you to apologise.

You were looking; Its the same driver I mentioned. I downloaded It as soon as I got your reply. However I am to ask out of an abundance of caution:-

(1) Should I just run it or do I have to uninstall the present one and then install the same? and

(2) If I have to uninstall and then install the new one, How should this be done?

I would be breaking new ground here and would not want to mess things up, hence I ask for edification.

Thank you again Sir, as I await your reply.

standeb.

Collapse -
Re: Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed.

In reply to: Been Busy Lately.. But..

Hello Griff.

Just a gentle reminder with respect to yesterday's request for instructions regarding installation of the driver with respect to the problem at caption.

As I understand it, the LCD monitor requires a resolution of 1280-720 so that 800 - 600 is incorrect and I don't know whether that can cause some damage to the monitor.

Thanking you for your reply.

standeb

Collapse -
Re: Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed.

In reply to: Re: Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed.

Hello all,

I tried google to get instructions for uninstalling the onboard video controller driver and installing a new one but could not find instructions for this specific task. Meanwhile I got an update from MS
for the present driver. That did not do the trick. I am still stuck with 800-600 screen resolution.

Can a link be provided whereby I can get the required instructions.

Thanking you in advance for your kind attention.

standeb.

Collapse -
Simply Download And Install the New Driver

In reply to: Re: Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed.

It should install itself correctly.. If it asks for you to manually uninstall the previous driver first, open Device Manger, click on the + sign next to "Display Driver", then RIGHT click on the specific device that is now displayed, choose "Uninstall". You'll then need to restart the computer, at which time the display driver will default to a poor VGA driver.. Once Windows loads, double click on the downloaded driver installer and follow the prompts to install, then restart you computer after installation..

Once that's done, you should be able to change the screen resolution..

One note: It is very possible that your old, integrated video card will not be able to display the appropriate screen resolution for the wide screen monitor. (The video card and drivers simply weren't developed for use with wide screen stuff.) If that's the case, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, your only option will be to purchase a new video card that supports such a resolution.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed.

In reply to: Simply Download And Install the New Driver

Hello Griff,

Thank you for you reply.

I got the driver installed, but as you said it was possible that it would not work, it did not. I will purchase a new card.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

Best regards.

standeb

Collapse -
When you purchase the new card ...

In reply to: Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed.

get one that does have a DVI connection as by using the DVI connection and cable between computer and LCD monitor the optimal settings are achieved "automagically".

Collapse -
screen Resolution cannot be changed.

In reply to: When you purchase the new card ...

Edward

You could not be more right. While checking I noticed that CRT Graphic
in the advanced section under monitor was checked and the LCD Graphic
was grayed out. Nothing would move. Then I found out about DVI. Don't know what that is. Can you explain? Futher checking I noticed that probably that cable with an adapter was supposed to come together with the monitor but did not, because that was mentioned in the guide to setting up the monitor. Therefore the trick in sales by the retailer is to withold that part so that you will come back and purchase the same at a profitable price to them.

I will purchase such a card but I am going to the retailer.

Could'nt thank you more for this enlightening thread.

Best regards.

standeb.

Collapse -
Not all monitors come with DVI cables ...

In reply to: screen Resolution cannot be changed.

so to see if yours should have you would need to check the manual that came with it for the included components.

Here is a link that explains all about DVI (note that there are sub catagories of DVI and most likely yours will be DVI-I although that is not guaranteed so be sure the connector on your monitor matches the one on your new video card)-
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Collapse -
Screen Resolution Cannot Be Changed

In reply to: Re: Screen Resolution cannot be Changed.

Hello Tufenuf,

Thank you for the link. I found the monitor driver and installed the same.

I still can't get the change the screen resolution. I found a certain driver for the onboard video controller. I am checking in my reply to Griff's thread to find out if I have the correct thing.

Thanking you for you time and very quick response.

standeb.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.