Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screen resolution at CNET

by Catmoves / November 16, 2006 3:53 AM PST

I'm really bombed out when I have to scroll left to right on any web page. I love CNet forums, but it is a constant matter of that irritating scrolling that may make me stop using it. Yeah, I've tried adjusting my screen resolution, but then the type is so small it becomes a chore to read it. And, other websites designed to use my screen resolution look ridiculous in the browser. I don't care what "statistics" say about screen resolution,the vast majority of web sites are constructed to fit 800x600 res. Either that, or the web masters are smart enough to code them to fit various resolutions. Whatever it is, I am about about to deny any of these left/right scrollers access to my computer. I can always find the little "x" in the top right hand corner of the page.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen resolution at CNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen resolution at CNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can adjust font sizes
by jackson dougless / November 16, 2006 4:58 AM PST

While I agree whole heartedly with the basic message behind your post, it IS possible to adjust font sizes, so you could use a higher resolution without making it impossible to read.

I saw someone else say this, and it seems to bear repeating... That for a self-styled leader of technology like Cnet not to be able to master such basic and fundamental concepts, should be a major embarrassment to Cnet.

Having done some web design work in the past, I know exactly how easy it would be for Cnet to create a second, or even third, stylesheet for their sites, that would take care of these issues. And how they could choose to use relative positioning of HTML elements to let the site scale to different resolutions. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing Cascading Style Sheets were created for. Sure it's extra work to maintain all that, but if you do it right the first time, it'll be minimal extra work. Surely a great and glorious leader of the tech world like Cnet can handle such trivial matters.

Though I fear we're complaining in the wrong place, and even if we were complaining in the correct place, it would be for naught. Cnet is a company that is in the middle of an identity crisis. It's trying to be too many things to too many people, jumping on every new fad that comes along it can. Along the way, it's lost sight of its core customer base. It's quite simply a failure of the top management at Cnet, and top management at a company like Cnet tends to live in the fabled ivory tower. I might well soil myself out of surprise if the Cnet CEO had ever had direct interaction with some of the company's everyday customers. It's up to the Cnet shareholders to force change, but they're usually more interested in making a quick buck on the stock than long term sustainable growth strategies and building equity in the company. It's a vicious circle, and it's people like us who get caught in the middle.

Collapse -
RE:
by chucker111 / November 16, 2006 8:24 AM PST

DARN,WELL SAID.!!!U know your sh*t,I've noticed.U should be & could be a GOOD Mod.!!Always good advice.I for one,Thank you.!!,chucker111.(NOT related,I SWEAR).LOL,THX.

Collapse -
I'm flattered
by jackson dougless / November 16, 2006 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

But I don't think I would make much of a good moderator. I'm much more of a fan of things like freedom of speech/expression than Cnet, and am not afraid of dolling out criticism where it's due, regardless of target. Cnet probably wouldn't like having a moderator that would point out its many failings and shortcomings. Or my feeling free to criticize some of it's biggest advertisers like Microsoft.

No, I'm happy being the annoying voice of reason from the rank and file, and quite enjoy the freer hand it gives me in what I can say and do. I do appreciate the vote of confidence however.

Collapse -
Yep, it does make a change doesn't it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: I'm flattered

With your technical expertise you would make a great mod. But as you say, becoming a mod means you would have to "moderate" your posts, Devil

Pun intended!

Looking back at your history in this and other guises, I don't suppose that will ever happen......... *sigh*.

Mark

Collapse -
How do you mean?
by jackson dougless / November 16, 2006 7:38 PM PST

I'm a bit confused by that last statement. I've never been here before about 6 months ago. If I remind you of someone else, it's purely coincidental.

Collapse -
For Mr. Dougless
by Catmoves / December 19, 2006 1:08 PM PST

Thank you, Mr. Dougless. I really enjoyed your response. Cogent, thoughtful and well expressed. I guess part of my problem is that, having been raised to always try to consider the "other person," I am learning all too well that many huge and clumsy companies don't seem to give a hang about the other person. Lip service abounds; real service is short changed. I don't intend to put a list of companies who allow rudeness to their customers (it would require way too many pages) to seemingly rule their business. When I was in business, neither I, nor any of my employees, would have thought of ignoring a client's request for service and attention. Admittedly, a lot of the "requests" were basically just "kissing and cuddling" to make them feel cared about. CNET certainly could use some of our attitude. Thank you once again. And I agree: you would make a great Moderator.

Collapse -
There is a solution
by Amos16 / November 16, 2006 11:37 PM PST

Hi - I've queried the same things and (regrettably) have settled for a permanent 1024X resolution barring few exceptions. There is a little gadget in XP that can make most sites including CNet readable. It goes like this: Control Panel> Accessibility Options> Display> Settings (Click on Use High Contrast)>(Click on Use Shortcut)> Windows Classic (large)> OK. You can choose any other settings - such as windows classic (medium) or (extra large) to suit your taste, and with the shortcut keys you can toggle between this setting and the regular 1024X when letters overlap or sites do not look right. Hope this helps in case you are not too steamed up about CNet not providing better service in the first place - Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.