Windows 7 forum

Question

Screen Recording Issue

I've recently bought a new custom build PC, with NVidia GTX 770, i7 4770 processor and running Win 7 x64.
For some time now I have investigated a problem that occurs to me while trying to record game applications. Let me start by saying that I have tried using several different screen recording softwares, including Camstudio, BB FlashBack, Ezvid, Xsplit, Fraps and some others, and all of them behave in exactly the same way and the issue seems to reoccur with all of them, so I strongly doubt that the problem is caused by the recording software. The desktop records perfectly well, regardless of the win 7 aero settings being on or off and with both 16 and 32 bit graphic settings. When I tried to record games (tried with Neverwinter 1 and 2, The Witcher, Euro Truck Simulator Assassins Creed 2 and 3) the second the game application takes over desktop on the recording I can only see a black image. Game sound records perfectly, sometimes I even get a glimpse of game cursor, but the rest is the deepest and blackest blackness. After researching a bit I tried to play with NVidia control panel's 3D settings, but this did not seem to work (although I'm not a pro so may have missed something there).

Interestingly, it's a problem with recording full screen applications only, as when I run a game in windowed mode it records well! Have just tried different resolutions, desktop and in-game, all give the same poor result. So there must be something between windowed mode and full-screen mode that makes all the difference. No clue what that would be though.

Also going through other forums researching the issue, I found this sentence. May this be the key?

" When a game is truly full-screen, it doesn't have to play nice and share resources with other applications running; it has full, total control over what gets painted to the screen. This lets the graphics card cut some corners, increasing frame-rate."

Any input on the problem will be much appreciated. If any more information is needed, please let me know and I'll supply it.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen Recording Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen Recording Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's the right sentence.

In reply to: Screen Recording Issue

To get max frame rate the screen does not have to exist in any frame buffer which recording apps use to get the image.

I'm sure you have found prior discussions and this is not a new issue or unique. This is why those that want to record game play go with whatever works.
Bob

Collapse -
I see...

In reply to: That's the right sentence.

Thanks for shedding some light on the case. You wouldn't know if there is a way around it to bypass the card's settings?

Collapse -
I thought I shared

In reply to: I see...

That it may not be in the frame buffer. That's not a card setting but you revealed the workarounds in your top post. I won't upset you by duplicating your solutions here.
Bob

Collapse -
oh well

In reply to: I thought I shared

Thanks for the advise anyway, it's much appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.