Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screen problem?

Hi

I have noticed that when things leave the screen they peel from the top to the bottom instead of leaving in one go as they used to. Any ideas? Even half the start menu was missing when I clicked start - the missing parts (eg run) appeared when I moused over them however. All virus protection etc is up to date and correct and I have xp home sp2.

The start menu returned to normal after reboot. But I have tried to run chkdsk from run twice - once with /f and once with /r. It doesn't give the normal option to do a scan once the system restarts due to it not being able to lock the drive. The command window appears with a little text in it but it disappears too fast to read. When the system is rebooted no chkdsk took place on wither reboot. What has happened to it?

I'm mainly wondering about the screen behaviour for the moment.

Regards

Dilip

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Screen problem?

In reply to: Screen problem?

Have you installed the lastest drivers for your video card as well as DirectX9c?

Is your PC free off spyware/parasite?

Collapse -
Chkdsk

In reply to: Re: Screen problem?

Thanks for the answer.

It has largely given up doing that now.

On my other question, my xp sp2 Presario seems to have given up running chkdsk. prior to sp2 it used to come up with the command window saying "unable to lock drive - run at restart?" I said yes and it did.

Trying to run chdsk /f or chkdsk /r now brings up the command window which disappears in less than a second before I can read it. When I restart it to see if it intends to run chkdsk on restart, the computer starts xp normally. No virus or adware per McAfee and Adaware.

Why is it doing this? Do I need to care?

Regards

dilipsinha

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.