Windows Vista forum

General discussion

screen keeps going black

i just reinstalled windows and every once in a while the screen goes black for a few second

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: screen keeps going black
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: screen keeps going black
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you install all the drivers?

In reply to: screen keeps going black

Did you install all the drivers? Particularly the video drivers?

Collapse -
no

In reply to: Did you install all the drivers?

no and how would i do that?

Collapse -
Visit the manufacturer's website...

In reply to: no

Either the manufacturer of your computer (HP, Dell, etc) or, better yet, the manufacturer of your graphics card (nVidia, ATI, Intel, VIA, etc.) if you know it. Do a search for the respective model number and download/install the driver package from the executable they provide.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
uh oh

In reply to: Visit the manufacturer's website...

now its gotten worse - evey few minutes it goes black and makes a weired sound (like the sound when you plug in a usb)and then the screen gets all messed up and then goes back to normal

Collapse -
Update the sound card driver too...

In reply to: uh oh

Using the same method and ask yourself how old the monitor is and how much punishment it's received. That sound could represent a bad driver or a monitor going bad, so I would try to rule the first one out.

John

Collapse -
if its themonitor..................

In reply to: Update the sound card driver too...

but its a laptop - what should ido about the screen/monitor?

Collapse -
Sounds like to me

In reply to: uh oh

Sounds like to me that Vista keeps trying to find a driver for your graphics adapter. The Aero interface in Vista uses DirectX, so it's not like XP where you could get by using some stock generic drivers and never really notice the difference if you didn't play games.

I'm not quite as ready to panic as John about it, but still probably best that you track down and install all the necessary drivers. Don't just stop with the video drivers, make sure to get motherboard/chipset drivers, sound card drivers, drivers for any other devices that may be in your computer like a card reader, etc. If it's a name brand system (i.e. Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway) then you can generally do one stop shopping at their website for all the latest drivers. Otherwise, there are a number of driver download services... A couple of them will let you pay a small one-time fee to scan your system and then download/install the latest drivers. So unless you find you're formatting your system multiple times a year, probably not worth paying some annual subscription fee for any of those places.

Collapse -
tell me if im right

In reply to: Sounds like to me

if i understand correctly - i should download the 3 downloads that are avaiable from intel ( i put in my product number "Mobile Intel

Collapse -
clarification

In reply to: tell me if im right

theres only 1 download ( the other 2 were just older versions)

Collapse -
I misread it...

In reply to: Sounds like to me

For some reason I read USB and thought 3.5mm audio, so I went down the road of they fuzzy, scratching sound that comes through the speakers rather than the standard device connection/driver search tune. After rereading I agree with Jimmy, though even if you reformat often there are plenty of free driver backup applications available to save the time or cost of the alternatives.

John

Collapse -
free dirvers

In reply to: I misread it...

"there are plenty of free driver backup applications available to save the time or cost of the alternatives."

would you be able to direct me as to where ican get them?

Thanks!

Collapse -
I find it's easier

In reply to: free dirvers

I find it's easier to just burn a CD with the installation programs for the drivers or put them onto a USB flash drive, etc. That way you can easily update them with newer versions down the road.

Collapse -
Sure...

In reply to: free dirvers

The one I use is no longer free, but DriverMax is one of the top rated freeware options, while Net-runna is a newer contender with promise.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.