Computer Help forum

General discussion

'Screen Hanging' at Outlook Express/Internet Explorer Start

by JohnTar / January 13, 2007 9:18 AM PST

Can anyone please help with this:

I run a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 1300), with 512Mb of RAM and 80gigs Hard Drive on Windows XP. I use McAfee Security Center (all four components running) and Windows Defender (latest version). It boots up okay and runs with no problems when off of the Internet. When the Internet connection is made (external wired ADSL Modem to Tiscali Broadband at 2.3Megs)the system freezes for anywhere up to 10 minutes (though usually a shorter period of time) before the START button and Taskbar are usable. The Desktop Icons will bring up programs, which generally run correctly, and basic functions of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer will work through the Internet with no problem. Nothing at the bottom of the Desktop will operate during this time though until the system randomly unfreezes.

Occasionally programs will also freeze and show in Windows Task Manager as doing so. Generally this is not affected, and operating the End Task button will clear them when they do freeze. However, reporting these instances back to Microsoft also usually generates a 'freeze' situation whilst trying to connect to their server.

I have monitored the Advanced System Information - Error Log, which shows the record since this began in October 2006:

Under source "Service Control Manager" description of the fault day-by-day is: "The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found".
The fault is then described as: "The IPSEC Services service terminated with the following error: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced".

The source of the next part of the report is shown as "Application Hang". "Hanging application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version0.0.0.0, hang address ox00000000".
Then: "Fault Bucket 126906962".
Then: "Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.o, hang address 0x00000000".
Then: "Fault bucket 126637809" or "Fault bucket 126906962".
It then recycles through the first given explanation for the fault condition and so on. There are slight variations in the reasons given for the problem, but it is always a "Hanging application" etc, followed by a "Fault bucket..." situation.

I apologise for this description being so long-winded, but of necessity I have tried to provide as much information as I am able. It appears that the problem is linked to initial connection to the Internet. If neither Outlook Express or Internet Explorer are called into use for a period of up to ten minutes (variable), after the Laptop is started and Internet made available immediately afterwards from the "Connect to..." function in the START Panel, the machine runs correctly. Otherwise it's an "Oh my gawd, not again!" situation.

Much appreciation if someone is clued into this one!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Screen Hanging' at Outlook Express/Internet Explorer Start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Screen Hanging' at Outlook Express/Internet Explorer Start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Couple of Questions...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 10:00 AM PST

First, have you tried disabling the Windows Messenger at startup? If not, please try using the instructions below to do so. After disabling it, then restart the computer and try again.

How To Disable Windows Messenger

Next, since it appears like the problem occurs when using Internet Explorer, have you tried another browser to connect to the net? If not, please download the free Firefox program from the link below and once it's installed, double click on the desktop icon to connect.

Does the same problem occur with the new browser?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif
by JohnTar / January 13, 2007 12:11 PM PST

Did all that you luck, I'm afraid. My next attempt will be to knock out the two Microsoft services (OE and IE) completely and reinstall, in case there is a glitch there. I've dated this back to 12th October 2006. Unfortunately my System Restore has, today, auto-cancelled its ability to take me back beyond early December! I haven't, therefore, been able to check to see what might have been installed 12th October or thereabouts.

I've noticed that the Error Log frequently shows that there is a problem with the USB input area (in the components that provide the 'drive' area within the laptop itself, I think - I'm not that much of an expert as you've probably noticed!) Got any ideas? Other than that the only thing I can think of is to remove each program, apart from those installed recently, and reinstall them after checking to see if the removal has cleared the fault. I just hope that it isn't within the main Windows XP stuff!

Thanks! J

Collapse -
An interesting comment...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2007 12:24 AM PST
"If neither Outlook Express or Internet Explorer are called into use for a period of up to ten minutes (variable), after the Laptop is started and Internet made available immediately afterwards from the "Connect to..." function in the START Panel, the machine runs correctly. Otherwise it's an "Oh my gawd, not again!" situation."

This seems to indicate that possibly it is taking a while for Windows to properly load some drivers or protocols and that you are trying to get connected before they are loaded.

Have you taken a look at your System Events via the Event Viewer to see what errors are being posted? That is usually a good place to start.

If unfamiliar with it go here:

In addition to the "Events and Errors Message Center" linked to in the above KB Link, this one is quite handy:
Collapse -
Thanks Edward (and Griff) for your comments...
by JohnTar / January 14, 2007 7:29 AM PST

...didn't get a chance to do anything much today, will get on it tomorrow. However, I did notice that when I dropped the Broadband connection earlier, and then reconnected about an hour later with the laptop remaining switched on during the interim, the connection came up with no problems whatsoever! When I then disconnected, switched the machine off, and then rebooted the machine and connected up to Broadband the problem occurred again. On checking further it appears that opening OE or IE within the ten minute (or so) period of booting up will cause the machine to hangup. Nothing else connected into USB externally causes this - just the modem (a SAGEM F@st 800 E3 external ADSL unit). Does this give any other clues to those upwardly mobile when it comes to slim black boxes with keyboards?

Will try the other stuff suggested tomorrow, guys. Many thanks.

Collapse -
You Say It's A USB Connection Between Computer & Modem?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 14, 2007 12:17 PM PST

If that's the case, then I would certainly try using an ethernet connection instead of the USB.. I've found it to be more reliable.. Of course, that's guessing that you have an ethernet connection on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Once again, thanks Grif...
by JohnTar / January 14, 2007 12:47 PM PST

...yes I do have an ethernet connection on the machine, BUT (and this is where the naive bit comes in) my ISP ( supply an external modem, as described earlier, with cable connections, though the machine does have a 'Conexant' modem installed internally. What's confusing to me is that the ISP is insistant, in their setup instructions, that the external modem be used as opposed to the internal job. They are the the Dell recommended ISP (cheaper, but decent service!).

My knowledge of Broadband and its possible drawbacks is limited, and what's confused the issue more is that prior to October 12 everything was working well! I've appreciated all that you've passed on and anything more would be equally appreciated. Do you think that use of the internal Conexant ethernet connection might work, or is there any doubt as to why the ISP haven't advised its use?

Cheers, mate! J

Collapse -
Internal Conexant Modem Is Probably For Dial-up Connections
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 15, 2007 9:59 AM PST

...and if that's the case, it can't be used for broadband DSL purposes. (The jack for the dial-up modem uses a phone jack NOT an ethernet jack. Different sizes.)

Instead, an "ethernet" connection from the ethernet card (See this LINK for a Picture)... on your computer to an ethernet port on the external modem uses an RJ-45 connector which looks similar to a telephone cable jack except that RJ-45 jack is slightly bigger.. Some computers do not have an ethernet card and therefore use a USB cable connection between the computer and the external modem.

In my experience, an ethernet cable connection is more reliable than a USB cable connection.

Which one do you have?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
What I've got is...
by JohnTar / January 15, 2007 11:18 AM PST

...Tiscali B/Band connected through a USB ADSL WAN Adapter via a SAGEM F@st 800 E3 ADSL Modem which is external with connection through a USB2 port.

Two connectors (female) are currently available: a Modem connection which is the ordinary telephone connector cabled type, marked "Modem Connector", and a RJ-45 connection, as you describe it, which is marked "Network Connector". This links into a "Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Internal Modem" attached to "COM3".

What confuses the issue for me (as usual!) is that there is also an item marked "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller", marked "Local Area Connection" and "unplugged".

Does this match the info you wanted? Again, I appreciate your input,, but you ARE a patient fellow! J

Collapse -
The Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Internal Modem
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: What I've got is... a dial-up modem NOT a DSL modem.. It does NOT connect internally to the RJ-45 jack(8 pin) on the computer. It connects to the telephone jack "Modem Connector" which is an RJ-11, etc.(6 pin).. Still, it does appear as if you have an ethernet card on the computer.. That would be the "Network Connector" RJ-45 jack which connects though a network ethernet card.. Since the computer doesn't have an ethernet cable connected to the "Network Connector" jack and then connected to the modem (CAT 5 patch cable with RJ-45 jacks at both ends), it is "unplugged" in the "Local Area Connection" section, which is proper..

Unfortunately, after checking information about your external "SAGEM F@st 800 E3 ADSL Modem", it appears like it DOES NOT have an RJ-45 jack as part of it's components.. Instead, it appears like it only connects using USB from the modem to the computer.. Is that true? Or does it also have an RJ-45 jack which would allow you to use an ethernet cable to connect between the modem and the computer?

Since the specifications of that particular "mini-modem" don't include an ethernet jack, you don't have a lot of options.. You can try visiting the "" website at the link below where you should be able to download and install updated drivers/firmware for the modem...OR... you can get a different modem with ethernet capabilities.

As I mentioned earlier, ethernet has been more reliable for me, but it's your choice.. A search on the net for the modem you have mentioned does indicate quite a few problems.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Hi again, Grif...
by JohnTar / January 16, 2007 8:56 AM PST

...Yea verily, I do have a USB connected external SAGEM modem as described. I also have RJ-45 and RJ-11 sockets - one of each - which are unused currently.

I checked the Help and Support Centre and found that the modem is noted as being a "Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92, driver: unknown". There are three Network Cards marked as "WAN (PPP/Slip) Interface, driver: ndiswan.sys", "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport, driver: bcm4sbxp.sys" and "Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card - Packet Scheduler Miniport, driver: bcmwl5.sys".

There are five USB Controllers: four appear to be similar, marked as "Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller". One is also marked "2658", one is marked "2659", one is marked "265A" and the other is marked "265B". Three have "usbuhci.sys" drivers. The fifth USB Controller is marked "265C" and has a different driver ("usbehci.sys"). Knowing how problematical drivers can be I have added this info, though I have had no problems with the machine with anything other than the OE and IE components.

Hope its of use! Many thanks once again. J

Collapse -
All that stuff is internal, Grif - also...
by JohnTar / January 16, 2007 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Hi again, Grif...

...I've been to the SAGEM site and downloaded and reinstalled the driver for the external modem. We shall see what we shall see - perhaps you'll be lucky and never hear from me again!

Collapse -
(NT) Good Luck!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 12:00 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?