Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screen Freezing

by beat100 / September 29, 2005 11:34 PM PDT

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT600-8237
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 262MB used, 983MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6600
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F2&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A2
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7777 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_01B0A0A0&REV_60
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5250 (English)

Ok that gives you a rundown ow my machine. The problem I'm having is I keep getting screen freezes. However it's not as simple as that. Certain conditions need to exist before the screen freezes. When playing high resolution and heavy graphic games (dos based games) ie: far cry I have no problems other than the occasional lock up that you get with most games.
It's when I'm in windows, surfing the internet using internet explorer I get a freeze probably once every three hours. when playing Java based games the freeze is more frequent (upto 10 times an hour). This however isn't the only time. When watching video or playing music using any media player I can also get a screen freeze (upto 6 times per hour). DXDIAG doesn't find any problems, sisoft sandra doesn't either. I've done a full hard drive format and re-install which hasn't made any difference, I've flashed the up to date bios, I've used old and new versions of all the drivers (sound video etc). The problem only occurs when using windows. I've run reg mechanic, adaware, spybot up to date virus checkers but nothing tells me what's wrong. When I reboot the computer I don't even get the "your system has recovered from a serious error" message. I've trouble shooted the video card turning the acceleration right down but the problems still occur. The problem only started about a month ago. All help would be greatfully appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen Freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen Freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2005 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Screen Freezing

Far Cry NEVER locks up on my kid's game machine. But it's some machine with great cooling and a 680 Watt power supply. No need to skimp on power supplies today. And it's an item I don't see on your list.

There are possible BIOS settings that could cause that lockup but it looks like a new machine. Why not make this a warranty issue for the machine's maker?

Collapse -
Re far cry
by beat100 / September 30, 2005 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: There's a clue.

When I say occasionally It's usually when I have something running connected to the internet at the same time. If I just run the game on it's own then I have no problems (I've even played it on a 24 marathon last weekend.
The machine isn't actually that new. it's over a year old and is home built. Like I say the problem only started within the last month. I've done a lot of video editing on the machine which I can't do now due to the media players freezing all the time.

Collapse -
Doesn't sound right to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re far cry

I see you didn't note the power supply rating, but it doesn't matter. These parts degrade over time and the lint collector needs cleaning yearly or more often depending on number of cats in the house. (heat sinks)

I'm using my kid's box as an example of zero lockups since you mentioned FarCry. He also plays America's Army and that doesn't lockup.

Unless you have some spyware or such (try the EWIDO demo from I don't see much to comment on except what's not listed.

Collapse -
"If you're wise enought," try . . .
by Cursorcowboy / September 30, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re far cry

The article [Q286350] discusses Autodump+ (ADPlus.vbs) a new tool from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) which is a console-based Microsoft Visual Basic script that can be used to troubleshoot any process or application that stops responding (hangs) or fails (crashes).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?