General discussion

Screen freeze using Windows XP

Usually, on a daily basis, my Sony Laptop, P3, 700MHz undergoes a screen freeze, disabling the keyboard and touch mouse. My only option to recover is a forced reboot. I keep up-to-date on Windows updates. Chkdsk has not found anything misbehaving nor does running Norton Utilities WinDoctor or DiskDoctor. This usually occurs while I am using the mouse. Any thoughts short of reinstalling XP?

Thanks,

Joe

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Screen freeze using Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Screen freeze using Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Screen freeze using Windows XP

The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs. The Event Log Service records application, security, and system events in Event Viewer. With the event logs in Event Viewer, users can obtain information about hardware, software, and system components, and monitor security events on a local or remote computer. Event logs can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

Bill Gaston

- Collapse -

While I do not know exactly what the problem is, I wonder what you have running in the "background". Sometimes, people install this and that not thinking that it creates a background program that runs and runs. What do you have in the system tray? Disabling unneeded tray programs greatly speeds up a PC.
Lastly, are you clean from pests? -> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Good Luck, Tom

- Collapse -

At the office, the 20 Sony's do that daily as well. Sony's final response is that such machines were for casual use and not for business use.

We were using them in the office and now after many exchanges can run them for about 4 hours which we then have the users shutdown and reboot after lunch.

I have no cure for this one and Sony abandoned us. There are no kind words from me to Sony and I think Sony should reconsider their laptop business.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Screen freeze using Windows XP

Thanks, Robert. Your take on Sony was my impression as well. I have no pests lurking and there is no "event" screen as CursorCowboy mentioned. It is simply a lockup. It does require re-installing Netscape periodically so I will live with it. Thanks, again.

Joe

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Screen freeze using Windows XP

I am also experiencing freezeups when using my mouse. Again no help from Sony. I, too, have no pests @ have tried diligently to keep the background clean. Doesn't help. I'll keep looking for some other solution but keep an eye here in case some wonderful person reads this forim @ has a solution for us.

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Screen freeze using Windows XP

Small world....I have the same problem with my Sony FXA-49 running XP Home. Thanks for the info - it'll save a lot of time and headache trying to remedy. I have also used Adaware and have no parasites, etc.

What to do? Maybe this is the beginning of a class action suit? Time will tell.....

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Screen freeze using Windows XP

I had the same problem too except for my HP printer wasn't printing at the same time. We couldn't test the printer until this problem was fixed so he told me to remove my startup items in MSconfig as I replied to the original message.

- Collapse -

Removing Startup Items

Go to Start then Run, then type in MSconfig and press enter.

This should open the System Configuration Utility.

If you haven't used this before "Normal Startup" should be selected. If it isn't, that means someone has been in here before you and made everything the way they wanted which is probably the way it should be so I reccomend that you get out of that now.

If Normal Startup is selected change it to Selective Startup and uncheck "Load Startup Items".

Go to the "Startup" tab at the top and make sure that there are no programs in that list that you need running ALL the time. If there is, just check those.

Go back to the General tab at the top. press "Apply" then "close".

You should be prompted to restart. It's your choice now or later, but the changes won't take effect until you do.

CNET Forums