HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Screen flicker

by GeorgeRR / March 20, 2008 11:27 AM PDT

I re installed Vista home primium a couple of weeks ago after developing some problems with I don't know what.
The reinstall went ok, but, I am now getting an occasional flicker like the system wants to shut down but then catches itself and comes back on.
This is almost instantly and may occur about at half hour intervals more or less. This is a fairly new Gateway GT5438. I got the system in Aug 07. 2gig ram 320 sata hd, with hd backup. Not used for gaming or such.
I'm concerned about potential problems with power supply and need to determine how to follow up before warranty runs out.
Anyone have experience with this or a similar problem?
Thanks GR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen flicker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen flicker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You installed Vista on "what?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Screen flicker

Just like every version of Windows before it, there can be some 10 drivers we have to find and install after the Vista DVD. Your post doesn't share what you installed and if you found all the lovely drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Vista screen flicker (blink)
by GeorgeRR / March 23, 2008 12:27 AM PDT

The system info is in the 2nd paragraph of my post. Do you need more data than that? If so please tell me what you need.
I reinstalled the drivers from the dvd that I made when I was setting up the new system. Everything seems to work ok. The flicker that I am concerned about is more of a blink. As I said it only happens occasionally, and is momentary.

Collapse -
screen flicker
by GeorgeRR / March 23, 2008 12:31 AM PDT

P.S. Bob, I used the Gateway recovery cd which was included with the system when I bought it.
Thanks
GR

Collapse -
Then do what we have to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: screen flicker

Just like all prior versions of Windows we go to the maker's website and check for updates. Your post was a little light on details (yes you had the model but not the gritty details of the install.)

Nothing improved with Vista as to drivers and such. I had hoped for better but it's the same story as it has been for over a decade.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.