Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

screen filling

by Amos16 / August 30, 2008 3:02 AM PDT

Hello everyone - I recently had to reinstall my XP SP2 (intel duo CPU) and now when I open a new window it fills only part of the frame (screen),with the sides uncovered. With IE I found a way to have it fill the screen whenever I open it but not with any other program, and I have do do this manually each time, by clicking on the square in the upper right-hand corner. There must be some procedure to do this (in addition to enlarging screen resolution which I do not want to) but I do not know how. Advice will be appreciated - Amos.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: screen filling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: screen filling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Screenshot?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: screen filling

Hi Amos, not sure what you mean.

Can you post a screen print of this in ImageShack, or PhotoBucket, or similar?

Do you mean any application window, eg Office, browser, anything else you use, or just the browser window?

Also, do you mean that the 'web page' displayed in IE does not fit the whole browser window, or that the browser window itself does not maximise?

Mark

Collapse -
screen filling
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Screenshot?

Hello Mark - am trying to send screenshot but find it difficult. Here goes:
CNET Forums
Forum preferences

My tracked discussions

Forum real-time activity

Forum FAQs

Forum policies

Forum moderators

Operating systems forums
Windows Vista

Windows XP

Windows 2000/NT

Windows ME

Windows 95/98

Mac OS

Linux

See all forums

Popular forums
Computer help

Computer newbies

Desktops

Digital Cameras

Home audio & video

MP3 players

PC hardware

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Spyware, viruses, & security
See all forums

Search forums All CNET Forums within this forum within this thread Advanced Search
CNET forums: Windows XP Forum display: Tree view Threaded view Flat view
Windows XP: screen filling
by Amos16 - 8/30/08 10:02 AM
Total posts: 2 (Showing page 1 of 1)Back to Windows XP forumTracked
Post 1 of 2 | Back to topscreen filling
by Amos16 - 8/30/08 10:02 AM

Hello everyone - I recently had to reinstall my XP SP2 (intel duo CPU) and now when I open a new window it fills only part of the frame (screen),with the sides uncovered. With IE I found a way to have it fill the screen whenever I open it but not with any other program, and I have do do this manually each time, by clicking on the square in the upper right-hand corner. There must be some procedure to do this (in addition to enlarging screen resolution which I do not want to) but I do not know how. Advice will be appreciated - Amos.

Post 1 of 2 | Back to top
Discussion lockedReplyPermalinkReport offensive postE-mail to friend [ x ] CloseYou are e-mailing to a friend: CNET Forums: screen filling
E-mail this to: (Separate multiple e-mail addresses with commas. Limited to 10 addresses.)

Your full name: (Optional)

Your e-mail address: xxxxxxxx@Yahoo.com

Send me a copy of this message
Note: Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipients's address wil be used for any other purpose.
Add your own personal message: (Optional)
I found this post in the CNET forums and thought you would be interested in reading it.

ProcessingPost 2 of 2 | Back to topScreenshot? - New!
by MarkFlax - 8/31/08 1:58 AM
In reply to: screen filling by Amos16
Hi Amos, not sure what you mean.

Can you post a screen print of this in ImageShack, or PhotoBucket, or similar?

Do you mean any application window, eg Office, browser, anything else you use, or just the browser window?

Also, do you mean that the 'web page' displayed in IE does not fit the whole browser window, or that the browser window itself does not maximise?

Mark

Post 2 of 2 | Back to top
Discussion lockedReplyPermalinkReport offensive postE-mail to friend [ x ] CloseYou are e-mailing to a friend: CNET Forums: Screenshot?
E-mail this to: (Separate multiple e-mail addresses with commas. Limited to 10 addresses.)

Your full name: (Optional)

Your e-mail address: xxxxxxx@Yahoo.com

Send me a copy of this message
Note: Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipients's address wil be used for any other purpose.
Add your own personal message: (Optional)
I found this post in the CNET forums and thought you would be interested in reading it.

Processing
Total posts: 2 (Showing page 1 of 1)Back to Windows XP forumTrackedCNET forums: Windows XP Forum legend:
Unread
Read
Locked thread
CNET staff
Samsung staff
Powered by Jive SoftwareCheck out what's new Introducing the all-new CNET! Send feedback
home reviews news downloads cnet tv On the Insider: McCain compares Obama to Britney
log in join CNET welcome, Amos16my profile log out All CNET The Web Home Reviews News Downloads CNET TV Unlimited long distance $24.99/moPopular topics
Apple iPhone

Apple iPod

Dell

PlayStation 3

Wii
Windows Vista
CNET sites
CNET TV
Downloads
Forums

News
Reviews
Site map
Other CNET sites Crave iPhone Atlas MacFixIt Shopper.com Tips & tricks Version Tracker Webware More information
Newsletters

Corrections

Customer Help Center

RSS

What's new

About CNET

About CNET Networks Careers Editorial Press Popular on CBS sites: Fantasy Football Miley Cyrus MLB iPhone 3G GPS Recipes Shwayze NFL
Copyright

Collapse -
screen filling again
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 12:35 AM PDT

Hello again - I do not recognise any of the programmes that you mentioned. I have photoshop, Picasa2 and HP director. Can any of them do it? - Amos

Collapse -
hi Amos, Mark was referring to this
by jonah jones / August 31, 2008 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: screen filling again
http://register.photobucket.com/?ref=headerregister

you need to 'print screen' and (as far as i know in photoshop)
open 'new'
'edit'
'paste'
'save as'

and after registering at photobucket (it's quick and painless)
browse to the file you saved and then post the link they give you here

hope this helps

jonah

Collapse -
bucket?
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

Jonah, tks. Got the bucket, registered and all, but still cannot find how to transfer the image from Word where I saved it, to the application, for e-mailing to Mark. In Photoshop it says simply "Get photos" and then I can lead it to the file in question. Shall appreciate if you can show me the way it goes in photobucket. Mark has been silent for most of the day here in Europe, I'll try to take it up with him tomorrow, hopefully with a screenshot, but he may also be able to understand something from all my ramblings following his request. Thanks in advance - Amos.

Collapse -
screen filling - more
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: screen filling again

Hello - I mean any application EXCEPT IE. When I open AVG Free or any of the Office applications they fill the screen only partly left to right, but fully top to bottom. In IE I found a way to have it fill the screen each time. In all of the others I have to do it manually, by clicking on the little square in the top right-hand corner. If I do not do it, part of the text is not there, specially on the right. Right and left of the new application's home screen there is what was there before, such as the Desktop. Hope this is clear - Amos

Collapse -
Screen prints.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: screen filling - more

Hi Amos, sorry I had to go out for the day, visiting relatives.

I'll tell you how I post screen prints.

1] Make sure whatever you want to display is displayed.

2] Press the Print Screen key on the keyboard.

3] Minimize or remove the/those windows currently being displayed and goto Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.

4] This will open XP's Paint program. Goto Edit > Paste and click. The screen print of your whole desktop will paste into that Paint window.

5] Check it over. If there is any element of your Desktop that you do not want others to see, use the eraser tool to delete it.

6] Goto File > Save as. Select a location to save the file. I usually use the Desktop option in the left hand column.

7] Type in a file name. Anything will do.

Cool Click the pull down arrow for "Save as type", to select JPEG. This creates a far smaller file than the default BMP does. Click Save, and when done you can now close Paint.

9] Use your browser to goto ImageShack, or as you have already registered for PhotoBucket, go there instead.

10] In the field where you are supposed to enter the file name for the image file you want to upload, there should be a button next to it called 'Browse" or similar. Click that and it will show an "Open file" dialog window. Select Desktop along the left, find your recently saved file, and highlight it. Click Open if you have to.

11] In ImageShack you then have to click the "Host it" button, but I believe in PhotoBucket the file uploads automatically.

12] When the upload is done, the web site will display your image, and also various url web addresses you can select from to copy, so you can pasted the selected address into a post here. It is not always easy to find the right address to copy, but what you want will start with http://

13] Open a new browser window, or tab, (do not use the current one where your image is, as you may want to refer to it again later), come to these forums and this discussion, and post that url web address in a new post.

14] After you have uploaded that image, you can delete the file from your Desktop.

Don't email it to me. Let others see so more options can be discussed.

By the way, I have asked Lee, the Forum Admin, to delete those two email addresses you posted in that long post. You don't want some spam robot picking those addresses up do you.

Mark

Collapse -
pasting
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen prints.
Collapse -
I'm confused. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 31, 2008 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: screen filling - more

You say that you have found a way for IE to fill the screen, but the screen shot is of IE NOT filling the screen.

Can you do another shot of a window other than IE?

Or are you calling a new IE window an application, and it's not filling the screen?

I have, at my site, a little program that will maximize every IE screen.

Collapse -
screen filling
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused. . .

Hi - When I go directly to IE the screen is full. When I go through one of my shortcuts on the desktop (such as Cnet forums, or e-mail) the screen is narrow, as shown on the screenshot. What I am after is something that will make the screen full each time I open a window and not only on IE. Hope it is clear now and thanks. - Amos

Collapse -
Maximized.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 7:41 PM PDT

Thanks for that screen print Amos. You now know how to post images in these forums, Happy

Generally we can use shortcut properties to set a window to open up maximized, but if you are saving web pages to your Desktop, then the file icon's properties for those pages will not have that option, because they are not shortcuts.

(Just to let you know, to access the properties of any shortcut, hover the mouse over the shortcut and right click the mouse. A menu will be displayed where you would select Properties.Then that shortcut's System properties will be displayed and if you click the Shortcut tab you will see a box for 'Run:'. Click the pull down arrow, and select maximized).

However. with these web pages I don't think there is an easy, 'one step' way of making sure all your web page icons open in a maximized window, but there are things you can do;

1] When the web page opens in your browser, just click the Maximize button, the middle one in the group of 3 buttons top right of the browser. I know it is an extra step, but it is also an easy one.

2] Open your browser first, (you say IE opens full screen), then minimize the browser, and double click your web page icon. It should then open up in the browser window you already have open. If you are using IE7 it has the multiple tabs facility, so you could open more than one of your web pages to a new tab.

3] Instead of saving your web pages to the Desktop, save them to a different location, eg your "My Documents". Then find that file, right click it and select, "Send to... Desktop (Create Shortcut)". That will create a shortcut on your Desktop. You can then access the shortcut file's Properties window > Shortcut tab, and change the Run command to run Maximized.

Does any of that help?

Mark

Collapse -
Amos . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 31, 2008 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused. . .
Collapse -
Re: maximize
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2008 5:50 PM PDT

In the properties of the shortcut you use to run the program, set it to run maximized. This should work for all programs.

It's different, of course, for programs you run by clicking on the datafile to open (like clicking on a .doc file in My Computer to run MS Word). But as long as you don't tell
- which programs you mean
- how you run them
- what trick you found for IE
it's difficult or impossible to give specific help.

So please tell more.

Kees

Collapse -
screen filling
by Amos16 / August 31, 2008 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: maximize

Hello - I did not "find" a special trick for IE, but set the shortcut "run" detail to "maximize". This has worked for some of the other applications. But in the Cnet shortcut, for one, there is no "run" detail, nor in Google which has a shortcut on my desktop and in some others. This remains a problem. Is it possible to go to the target of the application itself, and find a "run" box there? Or is there a Control Panel application which makes each and every window appear full-screen when opened? I would have gone back to the 600 x 800 screen resolution, where no such problem existed, but there are programs that specifically require the 1024 one. Any solution? Or do I just have to go on hitting the little square each time I go somewhere new? Am somewhat vexed. Amos.

Collapse -
Tell IE what size to use.
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2008 8:22 PM PDT

So it opens with a window size you specified when you click a link. It can't be set to maximized, but you can easily drag it to nearly maximized and that's good enough for all practical purposes.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread6358.html tells the trick.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Amos, you could try this
by jonah jones / August 31, 2008 8:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Under control
by Amos16 / September 1, 2008 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: maximize

hello again - it looks like I have it under control now. The ones that did not want to open up maximised succumbed to the trick explained by Mark: go to the application, type "send to" and this will create a valid shortcut. It was a minor problem but a bothersome one. Thanks to all, especially Mark, Wayne and Jonah. It just shows again that CNET is the place to go when things go wrong - Amos.

Collapse -
glad the problem is solved!
by jonah jones / September 1, 2008 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Under control

Mark, never in a 1000 years would your solution have occurred to me

well done!

jonah

Collapse -
Nice one Amos.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Under control

I'm glad you have got it the way you like it now.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: screen filling
by Tufenuf / August 31, 2008 10:49 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?