Computer Help forum

Screen blotches/ flickering checkerboard

by techponz / February 19, 2015 6:56 PM PST

I have been having these screen blotches, apparently they were not tied into my artifacting problem because that is gone now, but the blotches are not.

The blotches come up in Windows 8.1 when i pull out the charms, right clicking sometimes does it, and it will flicker over video, but not in a game.

They will not screen capture so I had to take pictures of them with my phone so that i knew i wasn't going insane.

this is my build
amd fx-8320 Black
corsair h80i cpu cooler
2 x 8GB corsair vengeace pro 2133mhz <span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">cl10
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">m5a97 r 2.0 mobo
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">samsung 840 evo ssd
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">r7 260x dc2oc 2GB video card
corsair obsidian 750d case
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">blu ray burner
seasonic x-850 gold psu

<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">some corsair silent series fans for
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">Air flow ( because i know this will come up)
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">2 140's front fans pulling in
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">2 140<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;"> top fans out
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">h80i (push/pull 2 fans)on rear blowing out.
<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">

CPU temp, 18c
GPU temp, 45c (regular windows operation)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen blotches/ flickering checkerboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen blotches/ flickering checkerboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by techponz / February 19, 2015 6:58 PM PST

should have previewed that first i guess... hmm sorry

Collapse -
Did you want to remove this and make a new post?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2015 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: WOW

The pictures are typically a bad video card but when I see that I boot up a Linux OS just for test.

Collapse -
you think?
by techponz / February 20, 2015 1:39 AM PST

I was just in the other post talking to you about the artifacting and I switched my PSU, you recall?

the games artifacting hasn't happened but these blotches are still coming up... You had said something about frame buffer.

I have swapped video cards in the past, maybe the PSU damaged the video card?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: you think?

I don't usually tie discussions together like that. We carry on until it's just too painful or solved.

As to damage, at the shop we swap, re-test.

Collapse -
no prob
by techponz / February 20, 2015 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

No worries just keeping you in the loop, I will swap cards today and see what happens, but for that type of screen bloth you're thinking strait up hardware issues?

Collapse -
PS. Remember I'm taking your word about facts to date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Sure. Links follow.

One time a client sent me on a goose chase. Turns out the OS was cracked (pirate.) What a pile that was. Even when we showed a good install, they would not believe and wanted us to fix their pirated OS installation. ... right ...

Collapse -
by techponz / February 20, 2015 8:06 AM PST

I appreciate it, I wouldn't waste your time....I am A+ certified I have moderate experience with hardware and software i have just not been able to find a fix for this....

for peace of mind, everything i have was purchased brand new including the OS.

I swapped the cable first and the monitor, just to rule that out, because my monitor is brand new as well when i changed HDMI cables the blotches were would be nice if it were that simple, but I have a card on deck so if it comes back i will let you know.

Just in case the video card swap doesn't change anything what do you think would be the next step in the troubleshooting equation?

Collapse -
Anything not stock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: understood

For example someone changed the bios video aperture size. Bizarre results. The list goes on but I can't see any non-stock clue yet.

Collapse -
bone stock
by techponz / February 20, 2015 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: Anything not stock.

All my settings are unchanged, nothing O/C'd , never messed with bios settings.

in control panel i set the power consumption to high performance. but that is it.

so far so good on the swapped HDMI i said i have another GPU on deck as soon as i see something come up.

i was hoping to run crossfire when i figure out what the issue is, maybe i just need to spend some good money on some Monster cables

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?