Computer Help forum

General discussion

Scrambled screen on sony vaio laptop

by maer / August 2, 2004 3:26 PM PDT

I turned on my Sony Vaio laptop (GRZ660) and the screen was scrambled. It shook and rolled and I could make out some words (not anything like you would see on startup or a desktop) and a bar code. The only word I could make out was "apology". I tried alt/ctrl/del, nothing. I tried turning it off and on, nothing. I removed the battery and tried again, same thing....

Is this a common problem with laptops? Do I need a new screen? Are they terribly expensive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scrambled screen on sony vaio laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scrambled screen on sony vaio laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not ask Sony?
by Yew / August 2, 2004 9:44 PM PDT

Part of the purchase price for that laptop was some sort of warranty plan. Use it! Sony may have the worst tech support of the major computer makers, but you should at least TRY to see if their support staff can solve the problem. It may be a hardware defect that entitles you to a new laptop.

Collapse -
Re: Scrambled screen on sony vaio laptop
by Willy / August 2, 2004 10:55 PM PDT

Either you got true h/w fault or some malware is at work. Its pretty hard to correct if you can't or understand what's viewed. I suggest if you can, boot in the bios area and just see if its "viewable" if it isn't very probable a h/w fault. If it seems to settle, then maybe some malware at work, try booting into *safe mode*, your manual should explain. Again, if you can't do that, try warranty procedure, any?
Also, please explain what OS, h/w, etc. you have, it helps to know.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Is the BIOS or boot screen scrambled on thi sony laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

If so, the fault can be either the motherboard or the LCD. Both run about the same dollars to replace.

Check that warranty and call in QUICKLY before more days pass.

--------------------

If it's just Windows that is messed up, boot SAFE MODE and find the video driver and reinstall that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Is the BIOS or boot screen scrambled on thi sony laptop?
by maer / August 2, 2004 11:25 PM PDT

I really can't read what it's saying on the screen because it is so jumbled. I tried to go into safe mode and it does something, but I can't read it to tell what it's telling me to do.
I'm about 3 months out of warranty.
It's a Sony Vaio GRZ660, P4, 2.4 ghz, 40 gb hard drive, DVD-RW & CD-RW.

Collapse -
The BIOS or boot screen scrambled on this sony laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 11:40 PM PDT

The next step is to try an external monitor. This will only pinpoint if it's the LCD or circuits that feed the LCD.

If the external CRT can't display the BIOS or boot screen proper, then the motherboard is the prime suspect.

My estimate for an out of warranty repair is in the 500 to 1,000 buck range. They don't fix the motherboard, but replace it.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.