Speakeasy forum

General discussion

SCOTUS to decide if : " bong hits 4 jesus"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SCOTUS to decide if : " bong hits 4 jesus"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SCOTUS to decide if : " bong hits 4 jesus"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be an interesting test of the Bush Supremes.

In reply to: SCOTUS to decide if : " bong hits 4 jesus"

There's nothing like the First Amendment to separate the lambs from the Orcs. (I'd have said Trolls, meaning large club wielding mythical figures, but it might have been misunderstood, is this a question of politically correct speech from the other side?)

Rob

Collapse -
Not all support "faith based"

Many religious people also don't like the faith based initiative, but we
are also tired of seeing government money fund what is clearly at times
anti-religious organizations. Maybe some feel it's fair play and deprives
the irreligious and anti religious organizations from some funding, but
the danger is government intrusion in a manner that would give them
too much input and influence on relgious groups.

Collapse -
A lot of the controversy is who gets the grants

In reply to: Not all support "faith based"

The Bush supporters get the grants whether they need them or not and programs with proven track records don't.

Diana

Collapse -
good points for sure

In reply to: Not all support "faith based"

in particular: "the danger is government intrusion in a manner that would give them too much input and influence on relgious groups."

others see the dangers apparent if we switch placement of the words 'government' and 'religious groups' in your statement.

there is the dilemma

Collapse -
Neither does it say...

....in the Constitution that taxpayers cannot fund such an initiative either. Happy

Seriously, these issues regarding Constitutional Law will be settled just where they should be, by the Supreme Court.

I don't know enough about the ends and outs, and apparently even lower courts differ on some decisions.

But the buck stops in the Supreme Court. We may or may not like decisions they hand down, but we should respect them. On down the line other suits could be brought before them that would reverse earlier ones. Times do change, and different issues are born, and new challenges made.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I agree but

In reply to: Neither does it say...

constitutional constructionists interpret taxes may be levied only if enumerated in the document.

that is why funding for ss, medicare, welfare, pbs & the arts , etc are challenged by them.

I do not agree 100% and would say the above promote the general welfare, also mentioned in the constitution.

I toss out the 'faith based initiative' as a lure to those who do not find fault when they like where the money goes.(who does not)

I found both issues to be interesting. I also think it would be fun to see the supreme jurists keep a straight face when the words "bong 4 jesus" are presented throughout that case. (wish there were cameras)

Collapse -
Hope SCOTUS rules in favor of the school district...

the studnets were just barely off school property at a school-supervised event. Promoting illegal drug use is not a form of protected speech in school (nor should it be anywhere).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.