Speakeasy forum

Praise

Scotland votes No to Separation.

by Rob_Boyter / September 20, 2014 7:12 AM PDT

Massive unprecedented turn out.
"The highest turnout in Scottish political history - 85% - confirmed the sense this was a remarkable race that engaged all segments of the Scottish society, breaking far beyond traditional politics and party lines."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/09/19/scottish-independence-referendum-results-a-detailed-breakdown-of-the-vote/

Now I grant that this vote was of overwhelming importance to the voters, but don't you wish every election elicited that kind of passionate commitment among all voters. It is after all, how democracy is supposed to work.

Had I been there, dyed-in-the-wool Scotophile that I am, and with family connections there, I'd still have voted no rather than jump feet first into the great unknown.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scotland votes No to Separation.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scotland votes No to Separation.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We're better of united Rob.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 20, 2014 9:09 AM PDT

As a Welshman I was glad of the result. Will speak to my friend tommorrow regarding the family name.
To me, mor with a^ above the o means sea.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
I agree completely Dafydd.
by Rob_Boyter / September 20, 2014 12:33 PM PDT

And thank you for that insight into Welsh. The Scots have altogehter too many names for sea since it was an ever present factor in the lives of most of them. I believe that m^or is roughly equivalent to muir in Gaidhlig.

sea cuan masc AFB Dwelly MD Dwelly is the name of the Dictionary used as a source,
sea fairge fem AFB Dwelly MD published in 1918.
sea loch masc AFB Dwelly MD AFB = Am Faclair Beag Faclair = Dictionary.
sea muir fem AFB Dwelly MD Accents should be over the following vowel.
sea s`al masc AFB Dwelly MD
sea s`amh masc AFB Dwelly MD
sea t`abh masc AFB Dwelly MD

Oh, and the Gaidhlig word for search in computer terms? Rannsaich from which we get the word "ransack". pronounce rannshach* - rolled r, slightly lengthened n, and a nice glottal ch sound at the end.

From McBain's dictionary : Gall
a Lowlander, stranger, Irish Gall, a stranger, Englishman, Early Irish gall, foreigner; from Gallus, a Gaul, the Gauls being the first strangers to visit or be visited by the Irish in Pre-Roman and Roman times (Zimmer). for derivation See gal, valour. Stokes takes a different view; he gives as basis for gall, stranger, *gallo-s, Welsh gal, enemy, foe: *ghaslo-? root ghas, Latin hos-tis, English guest. Hence he derives Gallus, a Gaul, so named from some Celtic dialect.

I'll swear there's a Loch Muir some where, but Muir is also a family and a clan name. John Muir was a famous late 19th Century Scottish immigrant to the US who lost the sight in one eye as a result of a workplace accident and decided there was too much to see to risk his other eye. He travelled around the country seeing its wild places and became the first really strong enviromnentalist in the US, travelling all over and advising Teddy Roosevelt on sites for Parks and the like.

Thanks so much for checking on the name for me, Dafydd.

Rob

Collapse -
Anything that affects people's lives has lots of names
by Diana Forum moderator / September 20, 2014 11:49 PM PDT

I remember reading somewhere that the Inuit people have 50 words for snow.

Diana

Collapse -
The old adage was that they had 78 names for snow, but
by Rob_Boyter / September 21, 2014 2:31 AM PDT

it's a bit of a misnomer. They have words for wet snow, and dry crystalline snow and snow that is driven by the wind and a few other things like that, but mostly it is for different forms of snow on the ground Well packed, or drifted and soft, or with a crust that doesn't support a person's weight and things like that. What they use a single word for, we use two or three, but for types of snow proper their vocabulary is probably not more than 8 words.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) You gave 7 for sea ;-)
by Diana Forum moderator / September 21, 2014 2:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
True Rob.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 21, 2014 2:51 AM PDT

In Welsh we have similar names for different types of snow. Eira mawr means big snow as in big flakes. Eira fach as in crystalline snow and eira gwynt as in wind driven snow.
Woohoo, I'm part Eskimo.
Had a word with my friend about the family name and drew a blank about any connections regarding Galleymore.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Hayakawa the semanticist
by drpruner / September 22, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: True Rob.

mentioned that sort of thing. He pointed out each culture makes as many words as it needs. E.g. "car" = sedan, coupe, convertible (drophead coupe, for you Brits), station wagon...

Collapse -
Seems like there's no Loch Muir Rob.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 3:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wales and Cornwall:
by drpruner / September 24, 2014 9:50 AM PDT

"You can see it, but you can't get there from here." Happy

Collapse -
Oh, meant to mention. Beurla is Gaidhlig for English, does
by Rob_Boyter / September 20, 2014 12:35 PM PDT

that match up with any similar Welsh words? Rob

Collapse -
Years ago, during another separation period,
by drpruner / September 22, 2014 6:51 AM PDT

a cartoon: A Scot sitting at a bar with a 'mean drunk' look on his face. His companion says, "Ah, that's just the oil talkin', Jock."

Collapse -
Great unknown???
by drpruner / September 22, 2014 6:56 AM PDT

America did it a couple of centuries ago. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?