General discussion

school website development

I am working to develop a website for our school's PTO. It is a non-profit.
looking for feedback on the following questions:

Who do you recommend for webhosting?

What type of bandwidth do we need? Our school is 425 elementary students. Website will be accessed by parents and staff.

Do the sites limit the number of hits in a price category?

I need a site I can create using my own code and eventually transition to maintenance with a GUI for the next webmaster.

I need to have a platform that supports PHP.

Any help or experience you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Amy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: school website development
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: school website development
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
lots of different hosting companies...

There are lots of hosts you should consider looking at. My personal experience has been with Host Monster, Domains at Retail and Netfirms. I host about 15 sites on Domains at Retail (http://www.domainsatretail.com), and so far so good. I have about 4 on Host Monster and have no complaints about the service. Netfirms was good a few years back, and still is good but for PHP heavy code I've found sometimes it to be a little slow, but still pretty good.

There's some reviews up on http://www.affordablesharedhosting.com that you can check out for 2 of the companies I mentioned above.

As for bandwidth, there is no type. Its simply how many GB of data you are allowed to transfer each month. The bandwidth mostly relates to how many graphics, videos, audio there is on the site as those use up a lot of bandwidth. If there will be that type of content on the site, then you will want to opt for a higher plan from one of the companies.

All the sites will provide a mySQL database and the hosting to create your backend, and as long as you provide login information to the next person, they should be able to contniue on to make a GUI for it. All 3 companies above support PHP hosting, just make sure you choose Linux as it is the better way for PHP.

- Collapse -
Review

CNET Forums

Forum Info