Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

School project for beginer. Please help

by mjstwrt / April 21, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

I am very new to computers and I am doing this school project and I am stuck on one question that I don't know how to answer:
Which of the following tools is best for accessing Web pages and connecting to the Internet?
a) ISP
b) Modem
c) Search Engine
d) Browser
I am debating between Browser and ISP.
Can anyone help me to answer this question correctly.
Thanks
polmexusa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: School project for beginer. Please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: School project for beginer. Please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't choose...
by John.Wilkinson / April 21, 2006 11:08 AM PDT

Since this is a school project I'll answer your question with a question. (Sorry, but this is part of the learning process.)

Which is better for taking notes, a pen or paper?

The answer...you need them both in order to complete your goal. Without one the other is useless...you can't write the notes on the paper without a pen and you can't write the notes with the pen unless you have something to write on. (Disregarding your hand as an option.)

So, how would you connect to the internet without an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and modem, and how would you view webpages without a browser?

Answer: ___________

John

Collapse -
School project
by mjstwrt / April 21, 2006 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't choose...

Hello John
Thank you for responding to my message.
I agree with you on the subject. But that is real question that I have in my school project and I have to choose only one answer from multiple choice provided. I know I need ISP to connect to internet and browser to see web pages.
Thank you for your help
polmexusa

Collapse -
The real question...
by linkit / April 21, 2006 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: School project

...IMO, is how the instructor can keep his/her job with such a poorly constructed question.

Collapse -
Polmex, For Research On Any Topic
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2006 11:40 AM PDT

...use Google. It's a search engine that will give you definitions or ALL of the topics and questions you have. The Google search engine link is below:

http://www.google.com/

Click on it, save it to your "Favorites" and use it frequently..To get you started, below is a link to a search on Google for: "ISP Definition"

Google Search for "ISP Definition"

Clicking on any of the links at the search above will tell you what an ISP does.. Finding the definitions for all your other words should lead you to the correct decision. We can't do your homework for you. Since all of the items listed are, at some stage, involved in performing the task in your question, only you can choose which of the item is "best".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I wold answer A, B, and D
by Gakada / April 21, 2006 4:07 PM PDT

C, is needed after you get connected..

I agree with ''Linkit'' ... maybe the teacher need to re phrase the question..

Collapse -
Thank you to everyone for the answers.
by mjstwrt / April 21, 2006 5:48 PM PDT

I thought it was only me that could not answer this question. I explained to myself that I am so new to computers. It is impossible to choose only one answer.
But that is the ....only choice I have been given by my teacher. I guess I just have to wait till Monday and ask her to rephrase the question.
Thanks to everyone for helping me.

Collapse -
school project
by billzhills / April 21, 2006 11:14 PM PDT

Post back and let us know.

I've seen this type of question/answer and their is only one answer.

My vote is for:

Bill

No curser, Any one else?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no cursor -- same here, not cool
by linkit / April 22, 2006 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: school project
Collapse -
No cursor -- discussion link
by linkit / April 22, 2006 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: school project
Collapse -
more thoughts
by linkit / April 22, 2006 1:42 AM PDT

My best guess is that the instructor is looking for ''d) browser.''

What I would answer and defend is ''a) ISP.'' The reason is that I have had some ISP's that provided all of the following:

1. Internet service
2. A broadband modem
3. A disc with a copy of a browser

(You don't need a search engine to access Web pages or connect to the Internet.)

Even with poorly constructed questions, it has been my experience that instructors often give credit for ''wrong'' answers if I could defend my answer with a strong argument. I also think the idea of asking the instructor to rephrase the question is a good one.

Collapse -
poorly constructed questions
by billzhills / April 22, 2006 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: more thoughts

linkit,

This not a question on your computer knowledge. It is designed to test your reading comprehension, question your computer knowledge and create more studying on the subject. (large hint)

Took a mail order course for Computer Repair, I'd have to say that 1/3 of the test questions where written this way. Drove me nuts till I backed off and really studied the question.

I won't confirm that your guess is correct. Have to wait for Monday when the project is turned in.

Also thanks for the link on "no cursor". Tried the fwd/back combination w/o any luck...

Bill

Collapse -
point taken
by linkit / April 22, 2006 3:42 AM PDT

Thanks, billzhillz!

The fwd/back thing didn't work for me either. I really would like a "best answer" for that one. It's real PITA!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) naw ... kinda fun .....
by billzhills / April 22, 2006 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: point taken
Collapse -
Thank you for all of you for help.
by mjstwrt / April 25, 2006 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: more thoughts

I asked my teacher to rephrase the question and she admitted that question is not constracted corectly and she told me that the are two options to answer this question and as long I answer corectly on one of them they will credit for correct answer. I picked ISP and they credited me as correct answer.
Thanks again to everyone who help me.

polmexusa

Collapse -
Thanks for the update!
by linkit / April 25, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

It was good of your teacher to do that. Best of luck in your studies.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good to here and good luck on your studies
by billzhills / April 25, 2006 9:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Excellent result. Congrats & thanks.
by duzlots / April 25, 2006 11:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and the other answer is..........................?
by WOODS-HICK / April 26, 2006 11:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Look outside the square!!
by duzlots / April 23, 2006 12:44 AM PDT

IMHO you are all right in little ways. I am only posting an idea.--- The ANSWER is in the question.
--"Which of the following ''''tools'''' is BEST for "accessing" ---"web pages" and "connecting to the Internet?" ---So Browser is out, so is search engine. These come after the fact.
The balance is ISP or Modem. Of these 2, I would choose ISP, because the modem you buy, may NOT work with the ISP!!
--You get the right ISP.
--They suggest the right modem, to connect to the internet.
--You then get a browser and then;
--a search engine to "access" "Web pages"

IMHO that is. Would love to know the result...Please

Collapse -
The answer is...
by yellowbug / April 23, 2006 2:58 AM PDT

: )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?