Laptops forum

General discussion

School Notebook Case for Inspiron 8600

I'm looking for a case for my new Inspiron 8600. I'll be carrying it around campus. What should I consider when buying one? Should I go with a backpack? I'm worried about the stress on my back. If I get a handheld case of some sort, what's the best one to get, with price not being a factor, and what's the best to get at the lowest price?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: School Notebook Case for Inspiron 8600
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: School Notebook Case for Inspiron 8600
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: School Notebook Case for Inspiron 8600

In reply to: School Notebook Case for Inspiron 8600

Yes, get a backpack. Not only will 2 strap spread out the load but the notebooks backpacks look like a student backpack (especially if you choose one of the plain black ones like the Targus Pulse) so it is less likely to be targeted (especially if taking it through airport security).

More expensive models have more ballistic nylon on the straps and back of the backpack so try some out.

See www.targus.com -- Fry's Electronics stocks some of them and has sales on certain models all the time.

Samsonite sells student backpacks also with the notebook sleeve and ballistic nylon.

The Targus models that state the will hold a 15" notebook will fit the 15.4" widescreen of the Dell 8600 as it drops in sideways (I have a 15.4" Compaq X1360US and I have a Targus Pulse). This model is all black and I only paid 19.99 after rebates on sale at Fry's but it has less padding then the Targus Matrix for example -- so I would recommend moving up in the model line a bit if you will be carrying it everyday.

Note that Targus also sells the premium Port backpacks which have the maximum notebook protection (air filled bumpers) but these have much more robust handles outside and signal a notebook is inside).

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: School Notebook Case for Inspiron 8600

Thanks for the advice! I saw a Samsonite backpack like you described at Best Buy for $59. Does that sound resonable, or should I shop for cheaper? And how does the Samsonite brand compare to Targus?

Collapse -

Supposedly Samsonite makes some of the HP backpacks sold on the HPshopping website. I saw some in Fry's electronics and they had a good amount of the ballistic nylon needed for comfort in the straps and the back of the backpack.

You should be fine with either Targus, Samsonite, or other established brands (Wenger has some nice notebook backpacks now at Office Max -- swiss knife/watch maker).

The 15" Targus notebooks are guaranteed to fit the 15.4" widescreen as I have one and Fry's Electronics even advertises this. I am not sure for the Samsonite so make sure whatever you buy will accomodate your 15.4" Dell 8600 widescreen.....

Collapse -

Collapse -

Make sure to look at the Sunday retail store ads as many back to school products are on sale (those ads in Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc. would be good through this Saturday.

Also, the Targus Pulse backpack (retail 39.99) I have is only 9.99 after a sale price and rebate at Fry's Electronics through today (Tuesday 8/31/04) if you are in the Southwest and can still find one (went on sale Friday).
I paid $19.99 for mine after rebate (10.00) at Fry's Electronics a few months ago.

Any of these Targus or other notebook models (like Samsonite or Wenger) that fit a 15" notebook should be fine.

But the Targus Pulse has thin straps and not as much ballistic nylon (the soft cushion material on the straps and rear of the backpack) as more expensive models so if using it everyday consider a more expensive model. The Targus Matrix is an example (69.99 retail). Keep in mind that Fry's Electronics had the Matrix as well on sale for 39.99 after rebates in the past.

You should be able to find a better price on a student notebook backpack at retail right now with back to school promotions.

Collapse -

Thanks for the tip. I've been searching for Targus discounts and coupons online, but can't seem to find anything. And there was nothing in the sales papers either. So I'll probably just pay the $49+ for it on the company website. Thanks again!

Collapse -

Curvecrush:

I saw several good notebook backpack promotions (other than the Targus Pulse at Fry's Electronics) but they were other brands.

But you might want to look at those Sunday newspaper ads again if you still have them.

Also, if you really want the maximum protection (air chamber inserts instead of just foam padding) check out the Port notebook backpack on the Targus website.

But if you do order a Targus at full retail you should be satisfied with the product (if not the pricing).

Collapse -

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.