Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

School Computers

by papagray / July 5, 2005 9:31 PM PDT

20 school computers will have win xp proff preinstalled.
need to add other teaching software to all others..
how can i create a disc to take from one machine to another to load in place of loading each bit of primary school software on each machine? one at a time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: School Computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: School Computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2005 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: School Computers

Hi papagray.

I'm not too sure what you need. You already have, (or will have), the 20 computers for the school and they will have Windows XP Professional pre-installed.

You have, (or will have), other teaching software to install on each?

If so, won't that software already be on CD? In which case it is just a (laborious) process of going to each computer and using the CD to install the software.

If you want to speed up the process, you can try and copy the CD's to blank CD's so you can do more than one PC at a time. Is that what you mean?

Or do you mean you want one of the PC's to act as a server and networked to all the others, so that they access the other teaching aids from just the one PC?

Collapse -
re school computers
by papagray / July 6, 2005 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure what you mean

sorry did not make it clear enough
computers are new,
about 10-12 different programs to load on each one as they will hopefully be networked but possibly not when i need to add the programs(having to rely on external source to set that up)any ways of loading them all quickly?

Collapse -
I also do work for a school
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2005 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: School Computers

as a volunteer. The school has a multi-use license. If you are in the same situation and all the PCs are identical in hardware, it's possible to preload all software on one machine and use imaging software to deploy the entire software package (including the OS) on the remaining ones. You will need to install all the applications and use the utility to make an image of the entire HD. Norton Ghost, Powerquest (now Symantec) Drive Image, and others will do this. Once you have the image, you carry it to the other machines and restore it there. There will be some issues of hardware addresses but XP should be able to sort these out. Again, this will probably only work with multi-use licensing packages designed to be deployed this way. Good way.

Collapse -
Problems with cloning
by Merl Priester / July 6, 2005 4:11 PM PDT

If all the machines are in fact exactly identical you can clone.

The problem may arise with this. If these are machines that are pre-activated with a special code that OEMs like Compaq and Dell get you may have no problem. If each one has a different product key, you will be dumping a clone on a system that does not match the product key and activation file.

Even if that works, you still have to rename each machine to a distinct name and user.

Each Restore of a cloned disk will in fact take quite awhile to do, my guess after all the fixing probably on the order of 1.5 to 2 hours per machine, although you don't have to stand over it while it is restoring. Installing the software might be easier.

Collapse -
In your case, you are probably correct
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2005 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Problems with cloning

If you have proprietary machines which the manufacturer has already activated (and they should not have done this IMO) you are out of the cloning business. Such would only work with certain offerings of Windows that license by the # of machines installed on. Some are open licenses and some are not. Cloning a machine, however, is not time consuming once the original image is made. It's a matter of a few minutes per session. Unless you can control the process from beginning to end, there is no escaping the fact that it's a time consuming operation. IT folks have an advantage over us small time helpers. My wife is a school tech coordinator and the computer lab is strictly a self help operation and I assist where I can. It does have multi-use and open end licenses which is an advantage. We'll soon be buying about 6 new machines. I'll be able to purchase these "bare bones" and specify all hardware to be identical. This allows me to do one installation and clone the remainder of the units. If done before activation, the process is simplified as, even though components are identical in model #, some have specific hardware addresses that XP will register. Good luck with your project and hope you find a simple method but I'd waste no time getting started.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?