Speakeasy forum

General discussion

School ballot issues

by Willy / May 3, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

Do you think at the polls for school issues is more about education or more and more of infrastructure?

Not about salaries, but items like busses, technology, stadiums and the like. Not about teachers, building upkeep, and books as I see it and keeping the status quo. One interest won't yeild to anothers and so on and so on.

Some counties in Ohio have repeatly offered new levies be put to the ballot and repeatly get shot down or if passed are very close. Yeah these are tied to property vales and such, but the burden is becoming too much for older citizens and/or seen as a tiresome burden even if the need of students is great. In other words a breaking point is being reached or already has in some school districts. Open to the floor... -----Willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: School ballot issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: School ballot issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps it's about the results being achieved
by Steven Haninger / May 3, 2006 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: School ballot issues

Levies come in several flavors. There are temporary, permanent, emergency, and renewal just to name a few. I would agree that, years ago, folks were more willing to pass some of these but,where I live (Columbus, Oh), it seems that the public school system continues to deteriorate on the results side. There is nothing wrong with the facilites, programs, supplies or technology but the kids just aren't learning. It seems the money just gets spent on a more expensive toilet to flush down the money from the next levy. I won't offer my opinions about what's wrong with the schools because, IMO, the first thing a school needs to succeed is children who are ready and eager to learn. The schools cannot make this happen so it's the GIGO principle at work. Sad It's been well established that past levies didn't help so why would voters want to keep trying to "fix" something with tools they know don't work?

Collapse -
Response
by Angeline Booher / May 4, 2006 4:53 AM PDT

We don't have such specific requests where I live, so I can't speak to yours in Ohio.

Several months ago the School Director said he needed more money to even continue the status quo. The city council did not agree. So the Director (whose contract was not renewed) started cutting such services as janitorial.

Now, I don't know about your school district, but here administrative jobs are much too numerous. But not a peep about cutting those.

Call me mean, but I don't believe that more money means better schools. We have given them more and more, but the results continue to slide.

We did have a magnet school make the list of top public schools in the USA. But there is talk of closing some of those magnet schools we have.

I come from the day when there was no phys ed in grade school. Recess was on the playground that had nothing but some jump ropes for the girls (we could bring our own jacks), some concrete on which to draw a jumping on onr foot game (I forget what it is called), and played Red Rover. The boys played football (nop tackeling), mumbly peg (all had pocket knives), and running games. (I know knives can't be allowed now, but how about some jump ropes? Double Dutch was so much fun!) My point is that there was no permanent playground equipment. However, a place to play kick ball wouldn't cost that much.

My guess is that now there are too many liability issues, so exercise now has to be structured.

But I digress.

I, too, am on a fixed income. As I sold my home, the property tax does not effect me. Also, our kids did not attend public school, so we "doubled paid", but that was our choice But I know the rising taxes hurt a lot of people. It cuts into the budgets of my grown children. Now we have the increased prices due to fuel costs, which does effect me. It costs more to produce and deliver food. I heard this morning that the major delivery companies have had to raise their price. I shop per the internet, so that effects me.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) (psssst....hopscotch) :-)
by Cindi Haynes / May 4, 2006 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks! :-)
by Angeline Booher / May 4, 2006 8:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's a human thing
by marinetbryant / May 4, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

You know, greed, power, etc. From the local school administrator to the U.S. Congress. From the idiot that tries to sell some stinger missiles to a terrorist(luckily it was an undercover FBI agent) to a labor union official who pays himself a half mil while his members are losing their jobs. There is no accountability, no oversight. Now there's an oxymoron, Congressional Oversight! Working folks can't or won't take the time to be on school boards. Teachers can't teach because a few groups have molded a "plan" that they refuse to change or allow to be changed. You can't fire a sorry teacher or give a raise to a good one because of the unions. It can be changed but how do you mobilize the people who can change it?

Tom

Collapse -
Reform is needed into how public education is funded
by Evie / May 5, 2006 1:08 AM PDT

VERY few still live in the neighborhood I grew up in. It was mostly middle-middle class back then, it is now upper end of the upper middle class. I think my Dad gets like a 10% discount on property taxes because he's a senior citizen. But it's not much. I think the property taxes for less than two years is what he paid for the house "back when". He has done no substantial improvements on the home, save for new roof and such (no additions, no new bathrooms, etc.). I think about half of the property taxes go to the school, it may be even more than that. Many of the parents from my generation have moved out because they can't afford the tax burden. This is not an altogether terrible situation, because with the skyrocketing taxes also came skyrocketing property value so they can move to another area of the country and live comfortably off the difference. But the neighborhood has lost a lot of its neighborhood feel -- people move in when their kids are school age, move out when they're done. Most of the children, even if they get good jobs, cannot afford to inherit the homes from their parents to live in them. That is rather sad IMO.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.